Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well hello, here is a question I have about a relay its a 5 post. Here is my plan, I would like to use this for my bottle warmer. Now what would be the appropriate wiring for this.

next question, is it safe to use the remote lead as one of my tail lights, would it draw too much power?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, i was gonna use the tail light as a way to turn it on, that way if I have my lights on the bottle is warm

would a 5 post allow me to when one post is hot use the purge then another post when off activate the solenoid for the zex

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Relay Diagrams - Connecting Additional Devices to the Remote Turn On Wire

simple stuff

dont use the power from the taillights, just run another wire from the battery.
I disagree with their diagram. While it does work for a simple switch, it's bad practice and limits what the relay can do. What happens if something is normally "hot", but you want to use the relay to turn it off sometimes (use the 87a pin)?

Constant power should go to pin 30. Then your accesories should be connected to pin 87 or 87a (depending on wiring). If you always connect constant power to pin 30, you only have to worry about what pin you connect your accessories to.

DsmDave said:
would a 5 post allow me to when one post is hot use the purge then another post when off activate the solenoid for the zex.
I'm not familiar with N20 kits, so I'm not 100% sure on what you want. It sounds like if your bottle warmer is on, you want to be able to purge. If your bottle warmer is off, you want to activate a solenoid. Is that correct?

If so, you'll use the 87 and 87a pins (this is why I have an issue w/ that link given). You'll hook constant 12V up to pin 30. Hook the solenoid up to pin 87a (this will give it power while the bottle warmer is off). Hook the bottle warmer and purge switch to pin 87.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
A typical automotive relay requires around 120mA to energize the coil between pins 86 and 85, so the power draw is fairly negligible. You could use a single 5 pin relay to switch power between the purge and NMU, though it's probably a better idea just to run 2 separate switches rather than using a SPDT relay since you'll need a way of cutting power to that relay (which would require another switch), unless you want your NMU to be powered on at all times. And 03SonicBoom is correct, constant +12V should go to pin 30. There are certain relay configurations you can make when sending constant +12V through pin 87 to make it stay latched, which probably isn't what you're trying to accomplish.

here's the setup for your bottle warmer:
30: ignition switched +12V
85: ground
86: tail light (+)
87: bottle heater
87a: not used

·
Registered
207 Posts
OR like 03soniceboom said use the 87a for the purge, thats exactly why there are 5 pin relays. Or if you want something to default to on when the relay is open/off you put the output there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts