Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the cats off my slp x pipe and replaced them with some straight piping. Everything slipped together fine but because there are no relief cuts in the part where the pipe overlaps it's leaking. The front of the cats goes over the piping and it has those zigzag cuts in it so it will squeeze up tight. The pipng I put in place of them is just being squeezed by the clamp and bowing out at the end causing a leak. How or what could I use to put cuts in the pipes so it will all go together tight again?

·
Registered
760 Posts
you could use a dremel or a cutting wheel

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea man. I was thinking about both actually but I don't have a dremel bit strong enough to do it. I've never really cut anything with a grinder so this might be a dumb question but how stable is it? If I can get a nice clean but this is what I'll try.

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
Why not get it welded? Thats the best long term solution, unless you wanna be able to reinstall the cats for inspections.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dale, exactly. I need to be able to put the cats back when I want to. I'm gonna try cutting new pipes and see how they work. I really hope it stops the leak because everything is tight as can be right now so it doesn't really make much sense that it would be leaking.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have band style it's all SLP stuff.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
is it a snug fit putting the pipe into the other? i cant see it leaking unless there was a bit of slop in the big pipe. but you could either go to harbor freight and buy their 5 dollar air cut off wheel which will work just fine to cut the slots, or if it's not leaking bad just some, you could get some of that red high heat rtv sealant and put it in around the pipe then slide it back in.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the pipes were snug until I started tightening the clamp then it made it bow out. I even moved it more toward the edge and it is still leaking. I'm gonna try this cutting wheel attachment my father has for his drill and see how it goes. If it still leaks after cutting the new pipes I'm going to have to use sealant. Will this make it impossible to get the pipes back off?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here is a photo of what I did. I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the front, though it's hard to tell since you can't really feel it. You can definitely hear it though. You can see that the pipes aren't as long as the cats were since there is some blackness on the header pipes still showing. I'm going to cut the new pipes a bit longer and put relief cuts in them and hope for the best.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
The clamps you're using really aren't the best for what you're trying to do. The lap-joint style band clamps would likely take care of your leak.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks buddy do you know where I could get a hold of them?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait I googled them and they look exactly the same just with 2 bolts? Am I missing something?

Edit: I think I see the difference. They are actually two different sizes to squeeze the piping eh? That's pretty cool. Thanks for the tip man huge help! reps for you lol.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
if you use the sealant idea it may make them harder to pull out but not nearly impossible. if it was permanent i'd suggest some of that liquid weld stuff they make for exhaust but that stuff is saposed to dry up super hard so that would likely be impossible to get off.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Edit: I think I see the difference. They are actually two different sizes to squeeze the piping eh? That's pretty cool. Thanks for the tip man huge help! reps for you lol.
Yep, they clamp both pieces of exhaust pipe, forming a much better seal. I posted a link to Summit's selection of them in post #7 of this thread. Thanks for the reps!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you use the sealant idea it may make them harder to pull out but not nearly impossible. if it was permanent i'd suggest some of that liquid weld stuff they make for exhaust but that stuff is saposed to dry up super hard so that would likely be impossible to get off.
Yeah I heard that too lol. I'll try it if all else fails, thanks man.

Yep, they clamp both pieces of exhaust pipe, forming a much better seal. I posted a link to Summit's selection of them in post #7 of this thread. Thanks for the reps!
I seen that and no thank you! lol. I just hope the bends in the front aren't to close to where the pipes join so I can use that style clamp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts