Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would just find a block and take it to a machine shop. No matter what it will have to be bored or honed out to whatever pistons you use.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
either that or what would i have to do to the block of my engine in order for it to be the equivalent or buying a reman? see what my plans for it are....i wanna put a bigger and better crank in it, bore and stroke the heads along with port and polish, pistons, rings etc. 99-04 upper and lower split port air intake manifolds, u/d pulley set, and eventually maybe supercharge? i also wanna do other stuff to the drive train and what not but right now my main focus is on the engine itself. any suggestions?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could buy a 3.8/4.2 at the wrecking yard & build it over time, in your garage, acquiring the parts as finances allow.
When it's finished, do the engine swap in a weekend, then sell your old running engine to offset the costs.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
chris torres is building engines for godd prices talk to him

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
either that or what would i have to do to the block of my engine in order for it to be the equivalent or buying a reman? see what my plans for it are....i wanna put a bigger and better crank in it, bore and stroke the heads along with port and polish, pistons, rings etc. 99-04 upper and lower split port air intake manifolds, u/d pulley set, and eventually maybe supercharge? i also wanna do other stuff to the drive train and what not but right now my main focus is on the engine itself. any suggestions?
I was unaware you can get the heads bored and stroked out :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If I were going to build a performance engine, and didn't intend to race the car, I would do what Chris is doing. He's starting with a 99+ engine, which has the split port intake, and installing new forged internals and having the top end ported out. I would stick with a 3.8L crank but you can use a 4.2L if you want. Then just leave it normally aspirated. If later you want more power you could add intake boost.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If I were going to build a performance engine, and didn't intend to race the car, I would do what Chris is doing. He's starting with a 99+ engine, which has the split port intake, and installing new forged internals and having the top end ported out. I would stick with a 3.8L crank but you can use a 4.2L if you want. Then just leave it normally aspirated. If later you want more power you could add intake boost.
This may jsu tbe my thinking, but if yur gonna have the engine out and work everything else up....you might as well stroke it to 4.2/4.3

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This may jsu tbe my thinking, but if yur gonna have the engine out and work everything else up....you might as well stroke it to 4.2/4.3
i like your thinkin :)

no point in putting in a reman engine than a year from now taking it out again for a stroker build. just save yourself the headache and money and do it while you have the perfect opprtunity

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i didnt notice you were in florida
I'am in Ft lauderdale area

if you wana do what brandon did buy a cheapo 99-04 3.8 motor to be sent to me or if its local you can bring it to me. i'll send it to get bored, honed and cleaned then work on it from there

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i like your thinkin :)

no point in putting in a reman engine than a year from now taking it out again for a stroker build. just save yourself the headache and money and do it while you have the perfect opprtunity
I guess I don't know how much benefit there is to going from 3.8L to 4.2L.

I thought it was a relatively small change compared to porting the top end. Certainly if you plan to increase the power you should go with forged internals.
Adding a turbocharger gets more fuel/air in anyway.

Perhaps someone knows what the gains are supposed to be from various modifications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts