Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the Viper Security system for my stang, but my question is how can I get the remote start part installed on my manual? I heard that places won't install it on manual vehs because of issues if the car is left in gear....I always park with the car in neutral and the emergency break up.
Appreciate it Guys!

·
2009 ROTY
5,646 Posts
i highly suggest against it. had a good friend put one on and he said it was totally fail safe and that he always left his car in neutral. yeah. till one day two weeks later he did not and his girlfriend grabbed the wrong pair of keys and hit the remote start and it went through the garage door smashing into her car...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i highly suggest against it. had a good friend put one on and he said it was totally fail safe and that he always left his car in neutral. yeah. till one day two weeks later he did not and his girlfriend grabbed the wrong pair of keys and hit the remote start and it went through the garage door smashing into her car...
See I don't understand if the emergency break is on how it could do that?

·
Registered
271 Posts
A local shop put one on my car and they installed a pull switch under the dash so i can disengauge the clutch switch if i plan on using it or leave it engauged so the remote start will not work.

·
175lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal
1,673 Posts
I would also strongly advise against this.

I put one on my manual 2000 and it was nothing but problems from day 1.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I installed one on my truck. It had a neutral safety switch, and just like what happened to AZ's buddy it happened to me. Except I was lucky that my truck only went into the ditch before stalling out.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
That and parking brakes are not always 100% effective at preventing a car from moving... thats kinda why you leave the car in gear when you park, so the friction in the trans prevents the car from rolling. I consider Parking Brakes on cars a lot like Safeties on Firearms... never trust em, but always use em and take extra precautions to prevent the car from rolling.

·
MM's Resident Ginger
2,991 Posts
yehh i wouldn't put a remote start on my manual...unless there's a way to make it not start if your car is in gear...

there is a reason it comes factory so that you have to have the clutch depressed to start it

·
Registered
978 Posts
yeah dont do it! i had one on my last car and it was cool and all, but that one time.........just one time i thought i left it in neutral and left it in 1st gear.........WHAM!!! right into a fence. no major damge (pride mostly) but it sucked and i would advise against it.

·
175lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal
1,673 Posts
I think in a good amount of states...aside from liability issues, a lot of places won't do it because it's illegal on manuals.

I believe that's what I was told when asking about it around here a few years back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1 To everyone else who suggested against putting a remote start in manual.. Unless you're the ONLYYYY person who drives your car, and even then, it's still not a good idea. I have a friend who swore something like that would never happen to him, one day here at work he was getting ready to leave and he hit his remote start to warm the car up before going outside..

When he went outside, he found his car in the middle of the parking lot, and like 20 feet away, another car's side door was smashed in.. lol

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
DEI (Viper) actually makes a lockout switch that you can interface directly into the unit or you can do what Joe (TrickTuners) said and throw a relay in there.
Ive dealt with these systems for awhile now and I am avidly against it.
I installed one into by buddies 05 GT that he always parked in the garage and one day he accidentally sat on the keys, engaged the remote start, and ran his car through the wall into his living room. Not the whole car just the front end. The Ebrake was on.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
also, i might add, this system when you get out of your car makes you do a certain sequence before you get out of your car if you want to remote start it later. It makes you cycle the clutch, ebrake, and throw the car into neutral which sends a signal to the unit and recognizes that the sequence for remote start has been initiated for a later use.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts