Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm gettin ready to put on a PP upper intake and it doesn't look to difficult but I was wondering if there is something I should be aware of regarding the removal of the stock intake and install of the PP intake. Any walk throughs or tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
the upper intake manifold is incrediably easy to do, it took me all of about an hour to get mine off put a gasket on and put it back on, just make sure you remember where any vacuum lines go, but its not complicated at all, you can really mess the vacuum lines up, make sure when you put the new manifold on that you replace the gasket and use either high temp(orange) gasket maker or the black rtv gasket maker, alot of gaskets come with the gasket maker, make sure the gasket is lined up, and if your not deleting the egr, connect it to the intake manifold before you put the manifold back on the motor otherwise it can be a pain to do later on and could mess up the gasket, very easy task actually, no hidden bolts once so ever, and just make sure you know how to hook up the throttle cable correctly, but thats real easy to do to, not sure if you know how to do everything yourself but i just wanted to make sure i covered anything that could give you problems

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
just make sure that your gasket matches your porting correctly

·
Registered
965 Posts
Removal
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the engine air cleaner outlet tube.

1. Disconnect the vacuum tube and the idle air control (1AQ solenoid.

1. Disconnect the Throttle Position (TP) sensor and the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) return tube.

1. Position the accelerator cable aside.
1Disconnect the accelerator cable from the throttle body.2Disconnect the accelerator cable from the bracket.

1. Remove the solenoid bracket bolts.

1. Disconnect the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) tube.

1. Disconnect the vacuum tubes.

1. Position the ignition coil aside.
1Remove the four bolts.2Position the coil aside.

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose.
  2. Note: For ease in installation, record the location of the long bolts and the short bolts.

Remove the upper intake manifold.

1Remove the 12 bolts.2Remove the upper intake manifold.

1. Remove and discard the upper intake manifold gasket.

Reactions: Stang6899

·
Registered
965 Posts
Installation

1. Install a new intake manifold upper gasket.
  2. Note: Refer to the location note made during removal and make sure the bolts are installed in the correct location.

Install the upper intake manifold. Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown in three stages:

• Stage 1: tighten to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .
  • Stage 2: tighten to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.) .
  • Stage 3: rotate an additional 90 degrees .

1. Connect the vacuum hose.

1. Install the ignition coil.

1. Connect the vacuum tubes.

1. Connect the PCV tube.

1. Install the solenoid bracket bolts.

1. Connect the accelerator cable.

1. Connect the TP sensor and the EVAP return tub

1. Connect the vacuum tube and the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid.
  2. Install the engine air cleaner outlet tube.
  3. Note: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal driving symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy. Connect the battery negative cable.
your welcome :D:cool:

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Look at 97tuned, trying to be all helpful.

HEY WAIT, I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING.

JUGGALOX CAN YOU CHANGE HIS NAME? HE doesn't have a dyno tune, he should be 97hondatrator r 97needastune lol.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha thanks 97tuned. Rep left :]

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
make sure when you put the new manifold on that you replace the gasket and use either high temp(orange) gasket maker or the black rtv gasket maker

A minor point, but gasket sealant is not needed on that gasket and will just make it harder to take apart later.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I wish those pics were still up. Would help me get the intake off so I can change an injector =/

·
A Zombie
634 Posts
I wish those pics were still up. Would help me get the intake off so I can change an injector =/
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD.
revival of the dead thread.

Anyways, it's super easy to take off the upper intake.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yea I was googling and not paying attention. I necrod this thread so hard lol.

And yea according to the instructions it doesn't seem too hard, it's just I don't know which lines disconnect/what all the parts actually look like (sort of a noob).

Pics worth a thousand words, wish they were still here =P

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Its all pretty self explanatory, You will have the cables for the throttle body to take off, the throttle position sensor and IAC sensor connectors, then there are two vacuum lines on the passenger side, a small 1/8" I believe and either a 3/8" or a 1/2" under the throttle body. On the drivers side there will be the connector for the PCV valve, the hose for the vacuum booster, and at the front two small vacuum connectors for the FPS and EGR stuff. Just take some tape and mark them so you remember where they go. Take the coil pack off, unbolt the 12 bolts, and it will lift right off. Thats all there is to it.

Put the new gasket on with RTV, lay the new intake down, and but the bolts in hand tight, then torque from the center out in a criss-cross pattern until they are all at their designated torque. Remember, the reading will be in IN-LBS, not FT-LBS. Connect up all your sensors and vacuum hoses and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Do you see the fuel rail right under the intake when you take it off?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Do you see the fuel rail right under the intake when you take it off?
Yes. The fuel rail can come off after the upper intake is off. There are four bolts that hold the rail to the lower intake on the sides. you take those off and you can then take off the fuel rail. If you plan on taking off any of injectors you will want to relieve the fuel pressure in the rail. The haynes manual has the method on how to do this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts