Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the US, a catalytic converter is required by law on gas burning vehicles. Now, let’s say we decide to just pretend we live elsewhere for a moment and ponder the gains of removal of the aforementioned system?
Anyone have any idea on the HP or TQ gains of catalytic converter removal? Also, what are the computer consequences of removal?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
They only places where removing the cats would be a no-no is in states with real strict emissions laws. Other wise you're fine. You could expect ~5hp and a better sound (sometimes, depending on your exhaust setup). All you need to do is use your hand held tuner to turn off the downstream o2 sensors, or get MIL eliminators which are about $60.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
In the US, a catalytic converter is required by law on gas burning vehicles. Now, let’s say we decide to just pretend we live elsewhere for a moment and ponder the gains of removal of the aforementioned system?
Anyone have any idea on the HP or TQ gains of catalytic converter removal? Also, what are the computer consequences of removal?
Better.

Now... considering our car is so free flowing from the fact, removing the cats won't yield as much as it would if its done on a car with restrictive exhaust... it will still free up some HP, don't know how much... reports go from 5-10hp or something

It will also cause the o2 sensors to go wack... but, you can simply turn them off with a tuner

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
They only places where removing the cats would be a no-no is in states with real strict emissions laws. Other wise you're fine. You could expect ~5hp and a better sound (sometimes, depending on your exhaust setup). All you need to do is use your hand held tuner to turn off the downstream o2 sensors, or get MIL eliminators which are about $60.

**** YOU REDFIRE!

:mad:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Got a friend who just removed the cats and he claims the car bogs down big time now....all can be fixed with a tune?

·
Registered
870 Posts
If its your stock midpipe youre talking about and stock axleback it will sound like poop. hey thats slp lol. Any who i wouldnt go off road unless you had a non chambered muffler (magna packs, slp etc...) I had a off road h and when i went to my catted X pipe i didnt feel much difference

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
with the XCAL 2 how do you do that?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My luck wait till srping and hit the dyno

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
On my Turboed Maxima i just punched out the cats. I no **** took a giant screw driver and a rubber mallet and cleared it out. I worked, didn't throw a sensor or anything passed emisions in GA. Can you do that to a mustang?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
without a tune to accompany it im sure thats all he would gain. unless you left the tune out. He should have went with an x, would have got him 3 or 4 more.
sorry yeah he got a tune. I agree if you want more power get the x but IMO the h is really that muscle car sound. But those x's sound SWEET with the right axle/cat back

·
Registered
21 Posts
looking for bolt on mid-pipe

I have a Whipple 12 psi Supercharger, Ford shorty headers, stock mid-pipe with cats and o2, Ford Racing X-pipe, Pypes Pype-Bomb (almost muffler delete) axle backs. Car sounds good, but I want to remove the cats.

I'm looking for a bolt-on mid-pipe with no cats to connect to my headers and the X-pipe. I need the ability to bolt the stock ones back on - thus bolton.

Anyone know of a kit or brand that works good with my setup?

Thanks!

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
I have a Whipple 12 psi Supercharger, Ford shorty headers, stock mid-pipe with cats and o2, Ford Racing X-pipe, Pypes Pype-Bomb (almost muffler delete) axle backs. Car sounds good, but I want to remove the cats.

I'm looking for a bolt-on mid-pipe with no cats to connect to my headers and the X-pipe. I need the ability to bolt the stock ones back on - thus bolton.

Anyone know of a kit or brand that works good with my setup?

Thanks!

The shorty headers will allow you to purchase any off the shelf off road X pipe made for stock headers and use that. I know Pypes makes one. Then you would just keep your current midpipe setup intact from the cats to the over-axle pipes and have a second midpipe ready to bolt in at any time.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Wait. Do you have the x-pipe that you cut the stock H pipe and it clamps on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I already have the FR off road X pipe installed. It connects to my stock mid pipe with the cats and that connects to my FR shorty headers. For 2008, the cats are located in the mid pipe or down tubes, right after the headers. I don't need to purchase the x pipe, just the mid pipe so I can remove the cats. No, I didn't keep the old H pipe, so I can't use that to make one - good idea though. There must be a bolt on pipe that would work ,without having to make one. I would expect that lots of people have done this so I was hoping for a off the shelf solution.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts