Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Some mustangs came with those door guards from the factory and others were installed at the dealerships. That thing is being held by double-sided tape; you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to apply heat over it for about 3 minutes, then pull it off. I saw one person taking both door guards off like that; they came off very easily. Be careful because you can mess the paint.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I remember seeing an abundance of stangs like that when I vacationed in FL. is it maybe a regional thing? never saw one with those in NJ

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A few have them around here. If you are having trouble getting it started you can use nylon fishing line to loosen it up. You car is 10 years old. You paint may have faded and the color under the door guard my be a little different than the rest.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
heat and fishing line

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Heat, fishing line, a lot of patience, and a lot of polishing compound after wards as well. Use some Zep citrus degreaser 4:1 after you get them off to remove some of the gunk. After that, give the area a nice sudsy wash, dry, then go pick some polishing compound off up at Autozone, buff the heck out of it, and lay a coat of wax over the entire car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
How do I remove this stupid door skits that the previous owner installed.

I would consider not removing them because your most likely going to have a long thin line of lighter red paint compared to the rest of your car taking in consideration the sun has already beaten down on the rest of the car for years.

Take off your trunk GT emblem if you want to see what I mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had them on my 98 and when I removed them the door was actually white underneath and the car is black. Not sure if that was something done by the previous owner or what but I had to get the doors repainted. Fishing string and a lot of patiences is definitly your best trick tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts