Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now my front tires rub on the plastic fender lining if I take a corner any faster than an old lady. I took a 270* on ramp yesterday at like 35 mph and I thought I was going to have my front drivers side tire blow out. Usually I can take those things at 60 mph without a problem.

I've heard of lots of guys that take these off and don't notice a difference at all, so why does my car have so much body roll? Could my struts be bad? They are the Bilsteins that came on 03/04 Cobras, and I can compress them by hand with some effort. It's not easy, but I can compress them by hand.

I don't think it's an alignment problem because it rubs on one spot in the middle of the tread. And my car has 03/04 Cobra springs cut 3/4 coil.

Here's a couple of pics to show how the car sits.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
ive had mine off for quite some time now, but im planning on putting it back on and actually driving my car.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've had mine off for a couple of months. I notice more body roll, but I haven't had any problems with tires rubbing. My fronts are 265/35/18 at stock ride height.

Of course, I also don't drive much on the street.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I noticed a big difference immediately through tighter turns, I don't know what they were talking about. It was just the beginning though, I've made it much worse since then.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Removing the front sway bar is only good for driving straight, such as running at the drag strip.

Same with running skinnies on the front.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay... not sure if I made my question clear. I can't pull out of my driveway going 10 mph and it will rub. Do you think new shocks would alleviate this, at least partially?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'd suggest just reinstalling the sway bar if your going to turn at any speed faster then a turtle. The sway bar levels out the front of your car around turns and w/o it your front suspension arms will travel a lot more since there is nothing to limit/tie it to the other side of the car. Removal of the sway bar is like 99gt said good for a straight line car not for the street.

·
Registered
245 Posts
this might sound like a stupid question so dont get mad but, are your front tires alot taller than the rears,or is it just the camera angle?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's another potentially offensive question, however here goes--why are you surprised that when you removed the anti-roll bar (sway is an entirely different thing¹) the car rolls more in turns?

Stiffer shocks will delay the roll by a bit however they cannot eliminate it.

---------------------------------------------
¹ - "Sway" is what the Empire State building does in high winds, "roll" is what your car does when you turn...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Here's another potentially offensive question, however here goes--why are you surprised that when you removed the anti-roll bar (sway is an entirely different thing¹) the car rolls more in turns?

¹ - "Sway" is what the Empire State building does in high winds, "roll" is what your car does when you turn...

WHAT?????? You mean that's the reason my car with no swaybars, 150lb front springs and drag struts won't go around a turn without leaning more than my grandma's 1963 Cadillac........:eek::eek:

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this might sound like a stupid question so dont get mad but, are your front tires alot taller than the rears,or is it just the camera angle?
Not a stupid question at all. There are a few reasons it looks like that.
1) Camera angle
2) The front of the car is lowered, the rear isn't. With more space between the fender and the tire in the back it makes the tire look a lot shorter.
3) The front tires are taller than the rears. I have 255/45 on front and 245/45 on back. They'll get switched around as soon as I find a good shop to do the alignment. The front tires were $10 a piece, the rears are $190. I don't want to wear out the brand new 245/45s with a crappy alignment.

It's all good, no offense taken. I'm not at all surprised that it rolls more, but I really didn't think it'd be this much. I've driven older cars with no sway bars and softer springs/shocks and they don't seem to have as much body roll as mine does now.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a nasty clang in my front end when I hit bumps, so I was thinking if my struts were bad it also might be the reason for the excessive body roll.

Does that make sense? Maybe it's a dumb idea to think bad struts would make the body roll worse but it made sense in my fuzzy little brain haha

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
no rub here. Didn't notice a different either. Then again I dont rail turns

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no rub here. Didn't notice a different either. Then again I dont rail turns
See things like this is what worries me. Scott can't tell a difference, yet I can tell a difference pulling out of my driveway. It's not like I have to "rail a turn" to feel the body roll. If I'm halfway out my driveway and give it some gas, the body will roll and rub the tire...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My swaybar is removed and hell yeah it rolls over in the corners!

I'm more into drag racing though and I drive rather slowly around corners now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. There are a few reasons it looks like that.
1) Camera angle
2) The front of the car is lowered, the rear isn't. With more space between the fender and the tire in the back it makes the tire look a lot shorter.
3) The front tires are taller than the rears. I have 255/45 on front and 245/45 on back. They'll get switched around as soon as I find a good shop to do the alignment. The front tires were $10 a piece, the rears are $190. I don't want to wear out the brand new 245/45s with a crappy alignment.

It's all good, no offense taken. I'm not at all surprised that it rolls more, but I really didn't think it'd be this much. I've driven older cars with no sway bars and softer springs/shocks and they don't seem to have as much body roll as mine does now.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a nasty clang in my front end when I hit bumps, so I was thinking if my struts were bad it also might be the reason for the excessive body roll.

Does that make sense? Maybe it's a dumb idea to think bad struts would make the body roll worse but it made sense in my fuzzy little brain haha
I removed my front swaybar and yes there is more body roll. as for the clunck in the front when hitting a bump in the road it is a good possability that it is a strut. I had just replaced mine for the same problem, don't forget about replacing the strut tower bushings,

·
Registered
697 Posts
My fronts rub at full lock when turning after I removed my anti roll bar. It's normal if your lowered. Nothing to worry about. When the body rolls the plastic liner comes down on the tire. I have all new struts, cc plates, and springs up front too.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
I have prokit springs in mine with no sway bar and I couldnt make it rub if I tried...and I have tried lol

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i just unhook mine when i get to the track

mine rubbs also, and i like the blue stripe on the rear wheel

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I noticed a lot of roll but no rubbing.

Stock ride height though. Then I went to coil overs and it felt like the sway bar was on it again.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
mine is very bad when i take mine off, i dont like driving it without it in ( maybe a vert thing) but mines scary to drive with out it

1 - 20 of 46 Posts