Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I bought a sub enclosure and its just a tad too big to fit under the slanted part. I know if I take it out, the speakers & amps will come too. Is there anyone who has kept the speakers functioning and removed the rack? Could I just run the speaker wire to the aftermarket amp? So many questions on this...and yes, I used the search function lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was thinking of removing mine too and wiring all my speakers to my aftermarket head unit...stock amps and aftermarket head units dont mix well...
The only drawback I see from removing it is taking some weight off the rear...im already fighting wheelspin as it is

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I removed mine from the factory box and they fall right into the holes into the rear tray and there are hole already in the rear tray to srew them down. The screws from the factory box will work to screw them to the rear tray. If I remember right some of those bolts have to be accessed from the back seat from under that rear tray. It was years ago when I took that thing out and it does free up alot of space. But I did not wire my factory speakers to an aftermarket amp. My aftermarket radio is pushing the factory speakers I think I re ran it to those wires that were running into the box I just purchased a few connectors to crimp and reconnect everything.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,399 Posts
Aren't the Mach460 speakers 3ohm?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's possible. Mine still has the factory head unit and factory speakers in the rear, no amps, box or amp rack. I'm completely radio/speaker retarded though so I don't know how or any specifics. My front doors have speakers but aren't plugged in or wires cut and my tweeters are in the trunk and it bugs me lol. PO had an 800 watt amp and some mtx speakers in a huge box and I ripped it out (regret it a little, but all i thought was I don't need massive bass and weight reduction! ). But they work just fine and I have room for another pair of gloves back there in what we pretend is a trunk.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm also interested if this is possible

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read some other posts, I believe Lefty said that he ran his rear speakers to his aftermarket amp. That slanted piece of plastic really limits what you can fit in the trunk, the box I have is the perfect width and maybe a half inch too tall. Aggravating.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
The box isn't that hard to remove it's takes about 30-45min at the most it depends on if you stay at it, your garage space etc.. but taking it out frees up quite a bit of space and it does have some weight to it with the factory amps but you will be returning that weight + more when you drop in a aftermarket box+sub and amp. Best thing to do is to go ahead and try to tackle it and see where it goes from there. I cut that box within months of owning my car to fit an aftermarket box in it that was like over 7 years ago but after a bit more time and observation about a year or so later I removed the whole thing.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you keep the stock speakers in the rear when you took out the amp rack?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I removed mine from the factory box and they fall right into the holes into the rear tray and there are hole already in the rear tray to srew them down. The screws from the factory box will work to screw them to the rear tray. If I remember right some of those bolts have to be accessed from the back seat from under that rear tray. It was years ago when I took that thing out and it does free up alot of space. But I did not wire my factory speakers to an aftermarket amp. My aftermarket radio is pushing the factory speakers I think I re ran it to those wires that were running into the box I just purchased a few connectors to crimp and reconnect everything.
Did you keep the stock speakers in the rear when you took out the amp rack?
Yes. I just remounted them in the rear tray bc they drop right into the factory holes that are under the grills that are on that rear deck. There are wires that were running into the top of that factory box that could be cut and re wired to those factory speakers but to make up that extra distance if you cut them to short just buy like 3ft of speaker wire and the correct connectors for wires.

My aftermarket headunit is pushing my rear factory speakers I just have the bass turned all the way down bc if it turn ithe base up on the head unit it seems to want to almost distort the sound of the factory speakers to the point where they sound like want to blow so my lows come from my sub and mids and hi's from the factory speakers. But I have yet to rewire the front door speakers back up though I will get around to it one day im just hesitant to pull the entire door panel off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts