Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was my first time using the clay bar. I did my whole car and after i realized there was about a foot of scratch marks on my back bumper. I guess it wasnt lubrictaed enough. How do I get these out. I have already tried waxing.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
So this was my first time using the clay bar. I did my whole car and after i realized there was about a foot of scratch marks on my back bumper. I guess it wasnt lubrictaed enough. How do I get these out. I have already tried waxing.
Post a picture please...

Did you not use the quick detailer and kneed the clay?

To get rid of them sounds like you will need a compound and polish...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
If you did not keep the clay lubricated enough where it was able to glide over the surface instead it would catch itself on the paint, than yes you have marring and potential scratches. Also you need to knead the clay after each section meaning folding the clay within itself to expose a fresh clean side that I free of contaminates. Sounds to me like you going to at least need a medium grade polish to take the defects out if your not looking for perfection this can be done by hand to remove about 45 to 50% of all swirls and scratches you just need some polish and hand pads, if you want to remove 50+% than machine polishing is the only way and you will need to invest in a all the products and tools to get the job done.

http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-euro-foam-hand-applicators-trio.html

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-finish.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I did use the detalier spray, and I was continuously kneading the clay, although i felt like it was almost dirty in one spot towards the end of doing my car. I will post a picture later today, It just rained today so ill need to get a car wash. And I will try to get them out by polishing by hand. The scratches arent in the paint, and you cant even see them unless its in direct sunlight, but they are very ugly once you can see them lol.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Thanks guys, I did use the detalier spray, and I was continuously kneading the clay, although i felt like it was almost dirty in one spot towards the end of doing my car. I will post a picture later today, It just rained today so ill need to get a car wash. And I will try to get them out by polishing by hand. The scratches arent in the paint, and you cant even see them unless its in direct sunlight, but they are very ugly once you can see them lol.
Well technically they are in the paint but on the clear coat man;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
PC 7424xp ftw

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
PC 7424xp ftw
That will help but he is going to need polishes, pads, quality microfibers, proper lighting, time, quality washing products, changing his washing and drying techniques, etc. Not everyone is willing to spend $ or take the time to do all this. But if he is that is another option and there are several threads in the detailing sticky to help him out I even put together a video thread that covers alot of the detailing aspects and how to do it properly.:)

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
That will help but he is going to need polishes, pads, quality microfibers, proper lighting, time, quality washing products, changing his washing and drying techniques, etc. Not everyone is willing to spend $ or take the time to do all this. But if he is that is another option and there are several threads in the detailing sticky to help him out I even put together a video thread that covers alot of the detailing aspects and how to do it properly.:)
X2

I wanted to just keep my car clean and so far it has cost me $1700...lol

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
X2

I wanted to just keep my car clean and so far it has cost me $1700...lol
Thats because you are crazy even on our standards Lol. When i get done with collage I a sure I wil spend that much haha.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried using a microfiber towel and using this scratch remover stuff, its supposed to be the low grade. Didn't wanna use a medium or high grade and risk removing my clear coat if it wasn't necessary. BUT the scratches did not come out. It looks a little better though. Tomorrow I will go to a medium grade. If that fails. I guess it will stay the way it is until I get it repainted. IMO don't use a clay bar if you don't know what your doing. I read the article on here about the clay bar before using it, I must have not taken my time when doing so though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts