Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my diff housing out and the pin but I cant push the axle in because the gear on the axle that tells the ABS or Traction control sensor wont let me push in the axle to recieve the c-clips

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
Did you remove the ABS sensor?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
yeah, once the calipers, rotors,m and abs sensor is removed the axel shafts will push in enough to remove the c-clips.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
^ pretty much sums it up

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
That would be the abs ring. They are kinda tricky as they are pressed on. I had to use a torch, pry bar and a hammer to pop them loose. But be carefull I've heard they break easy even tho I did beat the hell out of mine.

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
yea I got all that out but I'm talking about removing this guy

Now I don't know what you're talking about...
There's no way in hell you're gonna get that off if you can't get the c-clips off the axle.

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
Then... that sucks dude. If you've removed all the other ****, then I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to push the axle in. Is it that way on both sides?

Next step: BFH?
(Big ****in' Hammer)

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
No big hammer! Thatll just break stuff. Make sure You removed the sensor behind those rings. Then it will push in a lil bit and give you the extra quarter inch ya need to get the c clips out with a magnet.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You sure you are hanging up on the sensors? My axles slid in and out just fine without touching the sensors. I'd double check everything from start to finish. If you are hanging up on the sensors, they are very easy to pull. Just a torx bit IIRC

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Have you removed the cross pin in the carrier??????? The ABS exciter ring does not interfere whatsoever with removal of the axles, they only need to be pushed in 1/4" to remove c clips.

Make sure you have followed these steps:

1: remove diff cover/drain fluid.

2: remove wheels, brake calipers/brackets from axle housing & rotors.

3: remove ABS sensor from the backside of the backing plate

4: remove crosspin from carrier.

5: push axle in about 1/4" and use either a magnet or a punch to remove the c clip from the axle.

6: pull axle shaft out of housing.

The only reason you will have to remove the exciter ring is if you are swapping axles and want to retain the ABS function.

If you are swapping axles and want to remove the exciter ring DO NOT BEAT IT OFF OF THE AXLE OR PRY ON IT WITH A PRYBAR AS PEOPLE ARE SAYING! If you don't have a press, run by any decent autoshop or machine shop and ask them to press them off for you, it takes all of thirty seconds to do this correctly and they can press them on your new axles for you as well.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts