Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have decide to conquered the horrible purple tint on my car. all the side windows are easy to do, but the back glass in a PITA. i have heard about the hole ammonia and garbage bag idea but tried today with no luck. i dont know if i just didnt wait long enough or if it wasnt hot enough. does anyone have any suggestions or have done it before and give me some pointers?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
when i took tint off a car i just use a razor blade and started a corner that i could pull peel it off and get some goof off or goof on from like walmart...or gasoline to take the sticky stuff off works and looks just fine

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i did with all the side windows but the back glass has the defroster lines on it and if you knick one, it will no longer work, at the tint place they charge $15 for regular windows and $80 for defroster windows! its insane

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
dont trust yourself lol i know that feeling it was scary doin that to my stang but remember all you need to do it get a corner and pull yuo should only use the razor once per strip goof off wont hurt defrost lines

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
start from the top of the rear window down.

there are no lines at the very top.

that way you can get a nice about of soapy water in there and it will prelubricate on the way down

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i plan on doing the only thing im worrying about is cutting one of the defroster lines with the razor blade..

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok

has anyone used the garbage bag, ammonia idea

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I personally wouldn't.

you would probably get high rather quickly or stain your seats.

windex works just as well.

look at the back of a windex bottle and tell me the main ingrediant :)

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
um. that would be ammonia lol

do you think that some goof off on a rag would wipe the glue off?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
if you lube the tint enough there won't be any glue to wipe off :)

but yea.. goo off should work just as well.

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats the best way to soften up the glue so it comes off with the tint?

thanks for the help Doc

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill try man, but thats pretty much what i did with the windex today and it didnt really do anything but help the tint come off easier.. leaving the glue residue behind

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok ill do that tomorrow and ill let you know how it turns out..

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
not sure if someone already said this. i didn't read all the post. But when you take off Tint it needs to be on a Hot Day. If you do it on a cold day all the glue will not come off correctly. But seeing you live in Florida this shouldn't be a problem but wait for a nice hot day not a cool day.

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats what i have read doing with the ammonia idea.. your supposed to let the ammonia bake with the garbage bag over it for like an hour and both layers of the tint are just supposed to peel off. tried that today and no luck

1 - 20 of 54 Posts