Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im finally sick and tired of this... my battery keeps dying and i know its not my battery there has to be something draining it...its been happening since i bought the car 2 years ago and im finally sick of it... ive changed the battery numerous times i get a new one every 2 months or so.. i know a lot of mustangs have this problem ..if i dont move my car in 2 days the battery completely dies any ideas??

i have disconnected my amps and subs my foglights and every other electrical thing that was not stock and problem still continues

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
your alternators bad i almost guarantee it and its draining your battery

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thought about it but if it were the alternator i think it would have gave out by now i mean the problem has been like that since i bought the car over 2 years ago... its worth a shot though i do think imma go and buy a new one...any other ideas?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
thought about it but if it were the alternator i think it would have gave out by now i mean the problem has been like that since i bought the car over 2 years ago... its worth a shot though i do think imma go and buy a new one...any other ideas?
it is gone out, you are killing batterys every 2 months they arent being charged, you cars running off battery power only. go get it checked its free at autozone

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yeah, as soon as I saw this I thought alternator problem. The thing that I find a little strange is that 2 days of non use makes your battery die. Even if it is totally dead the alternator shouldn't be drawing that kind of power when you're not driving the car. If the battery lasts longer when you drive the car regularly than it does when you don't...that would suggest the problem isn't the alternator. You definitely have a power drain somewhere though. I agree that it would be very worth while to have the alternator checked though. Who knows. BTW...while it is kinda expensive, replacing the alternator is a lot cheaper in the long run than replacing your battery every 2 months.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yup i know but those autozone machines not very accurate i worked there so yeah ..
i did too and the new dura testers are extremely accurate if you know how to use them.

Yeah, as soon as I saw this I thought alternator problem. The thing that I find a little strange is that 2 days of non use makes your battery die. Even if it is totally dead the alternator shouldn't be drawing that kind of power when you're not driving the car. If the battery lasts longer when you drive the car regularly than it does when you don't...that would suggest the problem isn't the alternator. You definitely have a power drain somewhere though. I agree that it would be very worth while to have the alternator checked though. Who knows. BTW...while it is kinda expensive, replacing the alternator is a lot cheaper in the long run than replacing your battery every 2 months.
a dead alt will pull a battery dead faster than anything, it still pulls current to store when you turn the car off

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3year warranty free replacement so yeah haha ..but definately will go get it checked out

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Where did you get your battery? I'm surprised they haven't tested your alternator already.
yeah normally they wont replace a battery more than 2wice in a year beofre they tell you to check for toher stuff

·
Registered
154 Posts
sometimes if your alternator is bad and not pushing full power it can ruin a good new battery. so your battery might be bad now because of the alternator.

·
Registered
154 Posts
even if it is an alternator...you can get one for like $112 after you take the core back

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts