Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when started after sitting for several hours, my car would idle a little past 3k for about 10 seconds and then drop down to normal. After seeing the high idle fix thread i decided to clean my throttle body and replace my TPS sensor.

I had a lot of trouble getting one of the screws out of the throttle body, but after that the install went fine. When i went to start the car it cranks but will not start. I then put the original tps back on and it STILL won't start! I tried reinstalling the tune, disconecting the battery, and triple checking all of the connections. Does anyone have any ideas?!

·
Noob
828 Posts
Are you sure everything is hooked up right? like all the sensors and hoses? If thats on right, what kind of cleaner did you use?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a throttle body cleaner from o'reillys but what hoses could not be connected? my shaker covers almost everything up so it's hard to see

·
Noob
828 Posts
DId you actually take off the throttle body? Because its the back of it that gets really dirty. as for the hoses I meant the intake and the vent line going into the intake. It sounds like somethings either not connected or it could be a fuel problem. Have you done any other recent work to the car? Any tune or anything

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DId you actually take off the throttle body? Because its the back of it that gets really dirty. as for the hoses I meant the intake and the vent line going into the intake. It sounds like somethings either not connected or it could be a fuel problem. Have you done any other recent work to the car? Any tune or anything
yes i took it completely off. sorry im kinda a newb... so is there two hoses or just the one from the intake? and i havent had anything done recently but the car was dyno tuned about 4 months ago.

and there are 3 harnesses that should be plugged in right? the 2 on the throttle body itself and the MAF

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you turn the key to on (but not start) do you hear the Fuel pump engage?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
yea i'm sure it is getting fuel because after it wouldnt start i took off the throttle body again and looked inside and there was a mist of fuel all inside

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
That's not a mist of fuel, it's a puddle of oil that came from the pcv system. The fuel is injected into the head's intake ports.

Have you tried to reset the fuel inertia switch? On the driver's side kick panel next to your left ankle is a hole with a reset switch that's there to shut off all fuel flow in case of an accident.

·
Noob
828 Posts
Lol. Just the one from the intake. But it sounds more like electrical or fuel related. especially if there was no recent work done to it. Did you connect the TPS and the other one on the other side? And like Bobotek said, when you turn the key do you hear that pump prime?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i hear the fuel pump it makes a tiny screech sound and i can smell the gas when i try to start it

thanks for all of the help btw

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds like it might be loaded up with fuel. Try holding the accelerator to the floor when cranking. That will shut off fuel all together. Make sure both wiring harness plugs are connected to the TB

·
Noob
828 Posts
Is your battery fully charged? Lol I'm running out of things. It is cold out, and maybe you don't have enough cold cranking amps

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes!!!!!! haha i left the battery disconeted and tried with flooring it and after acouple tries boom!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you left the battery disconnected how did the fuel pump make any noise?

·
Noob
828 Posts
And how did it crank? lol but I'm glad we could help.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, how did it crank? We want answers here :bubba:

He did state on this thread and the cold morning high idle fix thread that it cranks. It was probably loaded up with fuel the whole time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha sorry i was out driving. no i left it disconnected for a while and then went out and connected it and it started lol sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks again for all of the help. it was a weird situation. I spent hours trying to figure it out and i came back outside and hour or so later and connected the battery.... It had a little trouble and then fired up and ran perfectly.

the real test will be tomorrow morning when it is cold again

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Do you think it was originally flooded with fuel? That's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea most likely. my neighbor (who is very knowledgeable) had the same prediction. but he knows more about the older stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts