Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car only came with one key when i bought it. i know these have the chips inside them so if i make just a regular duplicate it wont work. ford charges an arm and a leg to program these things. i was wondering if there is another way around this? or is ford the only way? thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Put in a remote start. Thats just as expensive tho. I know I spent over $100 for my key and fob a year ago.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Find someone really really good with programming and keys. That is the only way I know of. Only the 99-01 used the early PATS system so I am not sure how to do it with our cars.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
I had 2 additional keys programmed for $60 at a local locksmith. If you have 2 PATS keys programmed to your car, you can program additional ones yourself without a OBD II PATS configuration tool. This is why I tend to recommend that 3 keys are programmed to your car at any time. If you lose a key, the other 2 can be used to program a third.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Feel free e-mail me if you need a pdf or need instructions on programming remotes as well. PATS keys can be purchased for a fairly low price on ebay. You can purchase a set of 2, take 1 to your local locksmith, and then program the third yourself to save some coin.

Ford PATS Key Programming (1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)

Initiating a new master key

This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).

Adding a key

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
Video:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts