Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Same prinicpal would apply to panhard bar or upper control arm.

Here is my old bushings after 50k+ and a lot of burnouts and cornering at race speeds. Though many people bad mouth BMR bushings, its all talk.

You can see they are not blown out or destroyed.

The issue with them was just wear, you can see the gap here between the sleeve and the bushing which allowed a lot of play. It was the worst on the Panhard bar which i dont have a picture of.

Now to replace it. Easy as pie. New bushing and ring for the offset.

Notice the design, that bushing will spin on the sleeve, the sleeve is a tad longer then the bushing so when you torque everything the pressure is on the sleeve not the bushing. Hence, its not as critical in my opinoin that the suspension be loaded when you tighten it. If you have ever installed a stock control arm you will see why it is absulutley necessary to torque those while the suspension is loaded. There is a difference, the stock arms and bushings dont spin. Anyway, ******* can yell at me for that one.

Anyway put some grease on the bushings and insert. (Zippee... keep it clean)

Put ring on. This ring maintains the factory offset of the control arm. You can put it on either side of the arm depending on whether you want the BMR engraving on the inside or outside. I like the engraving on the inside, then I can stare at it while i'm under the car. When you install the arm this goes on side of the arm connected to the rear end, facing inside.

Place the other bushing on and you are done.

Its that simple. To remove these i just used a screw driver and pried the bushing up, it pulls off pretty easy.

Why buy Billet aluminum control arms? Becuase even after 50k of all types of whether they still look brand new with some soap and water.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
LOL...all done in the kitchen sink...batchelor living FTW!!!

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
get that couch moved yet, or did you have to leave it behind?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Absolutely duckin' repped. Thanks for the pretty pictures.

And that is by far the best selling point on billet pieces. Philosophical structural integrity my ass. But billet aluminum just will not rust. Steel will. The rust on steel arms starts at the welds since the paint doesn't coat the fine rumpled surface area very well. Then it's all oxygen all the time workin on that Fe content.

I take it the same principle also applies to the UCA and front control arms. Motor mounts less so?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
You have doctor's hand Rich, and sorry about you moving out... man I've been there.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I have what we call baseball mitts. I have an 11" spread from pinky to thumb. I wear a 3Xl-4XL glove, and I can palm a basketball no problem.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
like....a big boobied female poker playin doctors salary??? hmmmmm?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
rectal probing fixations are treatable with shock therapy.

FYI

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
GOD DAMNIT RICH YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO TORQUE BUSHINGS THAT WAY!

:D

Happy Rich?

Absolutely duckin' repped. Thanks for the pretty pictures.

And that is by far the best selling point on billet pieces. Philosophical structural integrity my ass. But billet aluminum just will not rust. Steel will. The rust on steel arms starts at the welds since the paint doesn't coat the fine rumpled surface area very well. Then it's all oxygen all the time workin on that Fe content.

I take it the same principle also applies to the UCA and front control arms. Motor mounts less so?
While I'm not disagreeing with you on the quality of the Billet arms, I don't really see the regular ones rusting either. My BMRs have a very high quality powder coat on them and I bet it lasts well. When I had my lifted Ram, it had control arms that I had cut to lenthen and weld back together, and I just spraypainted them with one coat of rustoleum primer and a few coats of gloss black. I probably put 25k hard miles on them, in winters with salt never washing them, and multiple offroad trips. When I sold the truck, they were probably the only part on it that wasn't rusty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts