Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my throwout bearing is going, I have a chirping noise that goes away when I press the clutch. My question is how much to have replaced, and should I replace the clutch at same time? If so, how much typically to have a clutch and throwout bearing replaced?

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
You'll know when your throwout bearing is toast. It's a sound...that sounds very, very, bad. Anyways, it's always a good idea to get the clutch kit as a whole- it saves you another trip later down the road for a new clutch. Shop around and get some install estimates- it can range anywhere from $250-500 for a clutch install. Keep in mind that you'll need to either have your flywheel resurfaced or buy a new one, and that the clutch fork and ball thingy (I can't remember what it's called) may need to be replaced.

All told, it cost me a little over $700 in parts and labor about two months ago for mine.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Take a weekend off and do it on your own. It's not hard at all and B0B did a VERY detailed write on it in the stickies.

Avoid the Spec Stage 1 whatever you do. Horror story after horror story about that one. I was one of them too.

I'm here, as well quite a few others, if you need any help or guidance on a clutch or procedure on hwo to do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah stay away from spec stage 1.... I've used a stage 2 with no problems and also used a Centerforce Dual Friction that I honestly did not like at all.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Go w/ the Ford OEM T.O.B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts