Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day she was driving her 98 v6 and it was getting hot so she stopped at a gas station. My friend and i saw coolant on the ground and part of the radiator looked wet so we get it towed to his garage. We put it on his lift and couldnt find anything. Turned it on for a few minutes and still nothing other than a random drip but we couldnt tell where it was coming from. Well today i go outside an turn the car on and after it warms up it starts dumping cooland from the bottom of the radiator somewhere and there is steam coming from the pass side of the radiator not a cap or hose. How hard is it to replace one of these? Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
If its an auto you'll have to pull the tranny fluid lines (2 of em), remove upper and lower hoses and the two radiator hold down tabs. Then you should be good to pull the radiator. All in all it'll take about 20 min. 5 or so min less for a standard since you won't have any tranny lines to worry about.

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
Pretty easy, pretty straight forward, just take your time and take pictures if you need too. Did you check the thermostat?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Make sure the plastic drain plug isn't unscrewed its on the passenger side

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
One word of caution. Be very careful of the flare nuts on the oil cooler lines. They are
a non standard size which Ford can't supply and they are not available from any source if they are damaged. The only option if you need another one is a wrecking tard.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. I found a new edge v6 with the radiator intact and the car still had the hood so it was in good condition. One of the flare nuts went off easy but the other just kept spinning so i just yanked the trans cooler line off. Install wasnt too bad but i have a few questions. Would a faulty thermostat cause excess pressure in the radiator and how do i check the thermostat? Also how do i bleed the coolant of air? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
To bleed the system, there is a metal plug on the heater tube near where it comes out
of the water pump. Just fill the radiator and install the cap then take out that plug and fill
with coolant. After it's been driven and cooled down again repeat the process.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To bleed the system, there is a metal plug on the heater tube near where it comes out
of the water pump. Just fill the radiator and install the cap then take out that plug and fill
with coolant. After it's been driven and cooled down again repeat the process.
Sounds easy enough. Now i just need coolant...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts