Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all,

I have 2001 stage 2 Roush mustang convert with 168k miles. She still has the orginal Roush shocks and front struts. I believe it is time to change them out. Since Roush does not make them any more, what would you all recommendations for there replacements?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
What are you wanting? Are you looking to keep the OEM ride and height or are you wanting to tighten up the suspension?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like to keep the same ride height as Roush set it up. Would not mind tightening up the suspension. So, yes to both questions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know the Roush suspension at all and the info on it is very limited. The biggest thing you want to keep in mind is spring rate, and then match a strut to to that. You'll get the best results that way. I tried to find the spring rate but was unable to anywhere, but I did find how much lower they are than stock and it looks like 1.5" in the front and .8" in the rear. A pretty average spring rate for street with that drop is between 350-450 lbs/in in the front and 150-250 lbs/in the rear which most any aftermarket strut will work fine with. I did also find that the struts we made by Bilstein but that is about it, and they could be custom valved.

With all that I can pretty safely say that Bilstein HD's would be a good match for what you are looking for. They will probably be a little stiffer than your current strut but will still ride very well. I have also heard Eibach Pro struts were pretty close to the OEM Roush feel, but that is just what I have read.

Bilstein:
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Bilstein-HD-Dampers-C380.aspx

Eibach:
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/...ck-kit-1979-2004-Mustang-solid-axle-P809.aspx

I personally have the Bilstein HD's matched with some H&R Race springs with a 1.5" drop up front and a 1" drop in the rear, and the ride is fantastic. It's firm but forgivable and I don't have to dodge cracks, holes, or slight undulations in the road anymore, and it responds super well to hard cornering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, I'll pass at this time.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

I don't know the Roush suspension at all and the info on it is very limited. The biggest thing you want to keep in mind is spring rate, and then match a strut to to that. You'll get the best results that way. I tried to find the spring rate but was unable to anywhere, but I did find how much lower they are than stock and it looks like 1.5" in the front and .8" in the rear. A pretty average spring rate for street with that drop is between 350-450 lbs/in in the front and 150-250 lbs/in the rear which most any aftermarket strut will work fine with. I did also find that the struts we made by Bilstein but that is about it, and they could be custom valved.

With all that I can pretty safely say that Bilstein HD's would be a good match for what you are looking for. They will probably be a little stiffer than your current strut but will still ride very well. I have also heard Eibach Pro struts were pretty close to the OEM Roush feel, but that is just what I have read.

Bilstein:
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Bilstein-HD-Dampers-C380.aspx

Eibach:
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/...ck-kit-1979-2004-Mustang-solid-axle-P809.aspx

I personally have the Bilstein HD's matched with some H&R Race springs with a 1.5" drop up front and a 1" drop in the rear, and the ride is fantastic. It's firm but forgivable and I don't have to dodge cracks, holes, or slight undulations in the road anymore, and it responds super well to hard cornering.
Thanks for the helpful info. for the shocks. I believe you maybe right, about Bilstein making the shocks for Roush mustangs. You gave me a great place to start. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts