Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure its been asked 100 times, how difficult is it to replace the OEM clutch on a 1991 gt without the help of a lift?
I think its obvious that I've never done the task but for $150 I can do it myself versus spending $600-$700. But I like to think of myself as pretty mechanically inclined.
sent from the abyss

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think the part that sucks is the exhaust because it is so bulky and getting it lined up just right can take a couple tries. I did mine on jack stands a few weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. Pull the transmission from the bellhousing and install it the same way. You might have to twist it a little bit to get the input shaft in but it's not super hard if you have the disc lined up.

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
Pretty easy if you have some good size jack stands...The only hard that I remember was I had a seized pilot bearing that I ended up cutting out with a dremel tool. The rest is just nuts and bolts. I don't recomend pulling or intalling the transmission by yourself, but I have done it before. It's just easier with a friend helping

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Not a bad job at all. The T5 is fairly light & easy to handle. Don't forget to have the flywheel turned!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my father offered to help if an extra set of hands is all that's really needed. Now I was reading I have to take me shifter off is this correct?

sent from the abyss

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
One extra set of hands is plenty. You'll have to remove the shiter handle, midpipe, driveshaft, transmission crossmember, transmission, clutch cable, starter, bellhousing, clutch assembly, and then the pilot bearing. That's pretty much all in order. Of course you'll also want to remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm sounds like it would take a whole weekend. Atleast without a lift. Thanks for the info carvee

sent from the abyss

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The only hard part can be lining up the trans and also getting it down by yourself. With the help of a friend it's super easy

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
Hmmm sounds like it would take a whole weekend. Atleast without a lift. Thanks for the info carvee

sent from the abyss
You could knock it out in a day. The most time consuming part is dropping the flywheel off and waiting for it to be done.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't opened a car up like this before. Guess my biggest question is I what if I don't have a mid pipe. My exhaust cause straight to my headers.

sent from the abyss

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
I haven't opened a car up like this before. Guess my biggest question is I what if I don't have a mid pipe. My exhaust cause straight to my headers.

sent from the abyss
Drop them off the headers. Trust me, youll want the extra room for the bellhousing bolts...

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Easy dude, don't sweat it. Gotta learn some how. And don't pull your pilot bearing if you don't need a new one, but if you do, the grease method works good. If you knew exactly what you were doing, it would only take a couple hours including resurface time. But since you said you didn't, figure 8-10 hours.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys

sent from the abyss

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That flywheel is heavy be careful not to drop it when you take the last bolt out. The best way to get the transmission back in is to kinda bench press it up there, its the easiest way to line it up. Its about 75 pounds so thats kinda light to be using a transmission jack.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That flywheel is heavy be careful not to drop it when you take the last bolt out. The best way to get the transmission back in is to kinda bench press it up there, its the easiest way to line it up. Its about 75 pounds so thats kinda light to be using a transmission jack.
Dah faq you think im some type of weight lifter! Just drop it on a tire or so? Would that work?

sent from the abyss

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
When you reinstall trans ... put it in gear. That way you can turn output shaft to line up output shaft spline into the clutch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Dah faq you think im some type of weight lifter! Just drop it on a tire or so? Would that work?

sent from the abyss
WARNING: IF YOU CANNOT PUSH 75LBS THIS CAR IS NOT FOR YOU. GET A CIVIC...LOL

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

sent from the abyss
75 lbs is a lot lighter than you think. If you really can't though just use a floor jack to help you

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
75 lbs is a lot lighter than you think. If you really can't though just use a floor jack to help you
kidding im perfectly capable of lifting 75lbs. i do it every day at work, not a bench press but i think i can handle it. 6'2" 230 and on a caliper im not ever considered obese. bmi chart says im morbidly obese tho.

WARNING: IF YOU CANNOT PUSH 75LBS THIS CAR IS NOT FOR YOU. GET A CIVIC...LOL
every time i sit in a civic i feel like it bottoms out... it makes me feel fat.

When you reinstall trans ... put it in gear. That way you can turn output shaft to line up output shaft spline into the clutch.
okay carver said to remove the shift handle does he mean the shifter knob?
:)

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
The whole shifter. 4 bolts. Comes right off

Sent from my DROID RAZR

1 - 20 of 45 Posts