Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a few quick questions...

First question is about the bumpers...
Can any bumper fit on our cars? and if yes, is it a direct fit with no changes?

Second Question...
How do you install the bumper? Is it easy an easy and quick job?

Third Question...
The quarter panel on the drivers side... How easy is it to replace the quarter panel? Is it really time consuming? Is it better to be done by a shop, or is it easy to do at home?

The reason for me asking these simple questions is because I am not currently with my car, so I can't take a look for myself...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a few quick questions...

First question is about the bumpers...
Can any bumper fit on our cars? and if yes, is it a direct fit with no changes?
Can any bumper fit? No... Can all front bumpers from your year model fit? Most likely. What are you wanting to replace your bumper with? If you can give us a direction we can help you more.

Second Question...
How do you install the bumper? Is it easy an easy and quick job?
Simple... two bolts on the header panel under the hood (between the headlights), 2 bolts on each side in the wheel well (behind the splash guards, they bolt onto the fender), and 2 faseners on the under side of the car.

Third Question...
The quarter panel on the drivers side... How easy is it to replace the quarter panel? Is it really time consuming? Is it better to be done by a shop, or is it easy to do at home?

The reason for me asking these simple questions is because I am not currently with my car, so I can't take a look for myself...
I wouldn't think it to be to difficult to remove at home with a basic tool set and a few hours on your hands. No first hand experience tho.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I put this together for you:

Keep in mind; for the bolts into the fender you will have to take out the small screws into the splash guards and bend the splash guard out of the way to access the nuts on the bolts.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I would imagine its simply bolts and such in various locations. I know theres a line of them under hood... most likely some in the door area, and most likely some on the header panel.

Best thing would be, when you are able, start looking around and find the locations of the bolts before you tackle it.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
To remove the fender you need to undo the bolts under the hood, the 3 behind the door and remove the front part of your side skirt to access the last few bolts.

I think thats all of them.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Theres one screw near the tire and two push pins attached that pop out with it. There might be another under it... not sure.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
I just took my bumper off to repaint and do a chin spoiler....2 screws at the top, 2 at the bottom, 1 on each side to remove the splash guard, and 2 on each side on the inside of the bumper (kind of hard to get too, but once you get in the right position its easy)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Alright I just looked through my Haynes manuel for the fender removal and he doesnt seem hard, just time consuming and it says you will need help removing.

1. Remove headlights and parking light assemblies
2. Detach the retaining screws securing the headlight housing panel
3. Detach the inner fenderwell splash shield and the front flair molding from the fender
4. Remove the front bumper
5. Remove the remaining fender mounting bolts
6. Detach the fender. Its a good idea to have assistant support the fender while its being moved away from the vehicle to prevent damage to the surrounding body panels

That is word for word from the Haynes manule. But I dont have any first hand experience with this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but would a 2001 Cobra Bumper fit on a 2003 V6?

Thanks,
Indybird

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are replacing the front fenders they are easy. If it is one of the rear quarter panels then not so easy. The rear quarter panels have to have to the spot welds drilled out, then you have to cut out the section of the quarter right behind the door, then the rear quarter panel will come out, might have some cutting to do inside the trunk area by the the trunk hinge cylinders. Then to replace it either need to use an epoxy or metal attacher such as JB Weld, or have access to a spot welder to reweld the quarter panel back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts