Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend? Still not happy with the last FRPP 4:10 gear mod . . . would like a second opinion . . . still got some gear whine that seems to be getting worse . . . turning into a low vibration.

Need a better long term performance shop. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
were all the bearings changed, what about the pinion crush sleeve?

I just recently installed a set of 4.56 in a 95 Mustang GT with 8.8 and had zero whine

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi SKRAPR,

I haven't been to any of the shops around Charlotte yet since I've done all of my own work thus far, but I've been looking into it since I'm considering having a supercharger installed. I found this post in another forum that seemed to give some good info on Charlotte-area shops:

"Stay away from Underground Racing. I've heard of many bad experiences from many different people. Do a search on this forum and there's a post several pages long complaining about this shop. The premier tuner in the Charlotte area is Custom Performance, and they are behind the speedway. They tend to be a bit pricey and slow to get work done. Also, CPRacing is gaining alot of respect with local folks. They have contracts with most of the major supercharger manufacturers to do warrantied installations and they send customers to CPRacing form all over NC/SC. CPRacing is on South Blvd in Charlotte. Ask for Ralph and tell him Dave sent you. Great prices on parts there. Finally, Atlantic Racing is a small shop in the Indian Trail/Monroe area. The folks there are really nice and very helpful. Prices are a little less than Summit or any other catalog. Small showroom, though and not much selection. They did my ring and pinion as well as the gears for two of my other friends. Good folks. Ask for Jerry."

Hope that helps. (If it does, thank Ol' Whitey in the Stangnet.com forums.)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've heard some different opinions about it. More than one person has told me that a little whine with the 4:10's is common. Some have told me that a proper install would not whine at all. It was just giving a little high pitched whine around 70-80 in 4th and 5th around 3K rpm's. I've tried to ignore it. But now, there is almost like a low-end roar along with the whine . . . so I think that it's getting worse. I can feel a slight vibration in the floor and pedals when I'm up to speed on the interstate.

I took it back to the shop that did the install about a week after the initial work was done. They said that the backlash was set to proper tolerances, etc . . . assured me that they had done it properly. They did not replace any bushings . . . just did the gears. My gut just tells me something is not right with it. My feeling is that gears are tricky and maybe that shop really can't do any better. Either way, I want a second opinion at this point from someone with some real experience under their belt. I've thought about just walking into one of the race team shops around here since they are so close just to get an opinion.

Anyway, thanks to all you guys who gave me some shop recommendations. I will definitely be looking into it.

Later bros.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts