Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a Ford dealer here in Lawton, Oklahoma and I also have a small shop on the side. I'm the gasoline engine repair tech, and because of that I tend to get the insider info on cars that get traded in, or customer cars that get brought in for service work that exceeds the value of the car or truck, for whatever reason. This is the story of one such vehicle.

Last fall, a young soldier with bad credit and a penchant for strippers brought in a Screaming Yellow 2006 Stage 1 Roush Mustang--or rather, he had it towed in---after it suffered severe engine damage. It had a bad knock, idled rough, and the engine had attempted to eject something through the driver's side valve cover. The car itself was in worse shape: paint peeling, bumper covers damaged, cracked windshield, the rear glass wasn't even bonded to the body, and various obscenities were scratched into the hood and driver's door.

The estimate for the engine replacement was far more than what the car was worth, and the GI left the car abandoned for three months before trading it in on something that ran (he still owed $4000 on it). They only gave him $500 for the car in trade, and that's how much I eventually got the car for. We got the car to my shop and cleaned it out, finding various items that belonged to at least two different strippers, as well as one document indicating that the previous owner was married.

So now, we're in the process of rebuilding and restoring the car, essentially back to stock with a few minor upgrades. No forced induction or nitrous, no radical chassis parts, nothing like that. Just a simple cruiser and occasional autocrosser, and show car to attract business.

King Engine Bearings, rods and mains in standard size:

The engine how it is now, ready to begin removal:

5.0L Coyote rods, not going into a 5.0L, but into a 3V 4.6L:

Buttercup's photo album at Sooner Hot Rod and 4x4

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure to Lysol the seats. Kudos for bringing her back to life.
We don't have to worry about that anymore. The seats were going to have to be replaced anyway, but a mouse destroyed the foam inside the driver's seat and finished what someone else started. She basically turned the foam into powder.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Just now found the thread but it's awesome you are bringing new life to this car again. It's very clear it was heavily abused. Looks forward to the progress :yes

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy God. I could understand that kind of abuse being done to a POS car, but to a Roush Mustang? That GI clearly didn't know what that car was worth.

Could we see some more pics of the damage done? Like the glass and the interior?
Yeah sure...I'll take some this weekend and post 'em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts