Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two resonator questions.

1) I know the usual placement of resonators on an S197 is on the flat area of the over the axle pipe right before the rear axle sort of mid muffler style. Has anyone ever heard of them being placed on an off road H or off road X in the location the cats would normally go? Between the headers and the actual H. What kind of affect would this have on tone and volume? Any other effects?

The reason I ask is because, if I ever take the or/h off and go back to the stock H pipe, I won't need the resonators. So if the resonators were on the or/h it would just be more convenient because I wouldn't have to replace my over the axle pipes if I ever switch back to having cats. I'm leaning towards putting them in the normal spot before the axle but just wanted to inquire about putting them directly on the o/r H.

Btw, the setup I am in the process of putting together is BBK shorties, o/r H, dynamax resonators, MAC boom tubes.

2) I have heard that when resonators are welded in staggered a few inches apart on each side, that each side produces a slightly different tone thus eliminating most drone. Is this mythical internet BS or is this actually true?

Btw, the setup I am in the process of putting together is BBK shorties, o/r H, dynamax resonators, MAC boom tubes.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ok 1. The furthar towards the rear of the car, the more effective the resonators will be. As for drone, most straight through mufflers don't eliminate drone, so I don't see you gettin rid of it that easily.
2. My suggestion to you is not waste your money on shorty headers, they may look cool, but you'll see no increase in power. Your gonna have to get long tubes for that. If your in a state that requires a sniffer test I would even suggest running the car without cats. Most states that have sniffer tests also have huge fines if you get pulled over and are caught with your cats off. Here in cali its a 10k fine.
3. As for placement of the resonators if you do decide to go ahead with your plan, just remember, the closer to the motor they are, the less efective they will be at reducing noise and drone. That's why most guys here set them like a mid muffler.
Im not to sure on the myth of the resonators being furthar apart reducing drone, I've never heard of that before so someone else can take over from there lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok 1. The furthar towards the rear of the car, the more effective the resonators will be. As for drone, most straight through mufflers don't eliminate drone, so I don't see you gettin rid of it that easily.
2. My suggestion to you is not waste your money on shorty headers, they may look cool, but you'll see no increase in power. Your gonna have to get long tubes for that. If your in a state that requires a sniffer test I would even suggest running the car without cats. Most states that have sniffer tests also have huge fines if you get pulled over and are caught with your cats off. Here in cali its a 10k fine.
3. As for placement of the resonators if you do decide to go ahead with your plan, just remember, the closer to the motor they are, the less efective they will be at reducing noise and drone. That's why most guys here set them like a mid muffler.
Im not to sure on the myth of the resonators being furthar apart reducing drone, I've never heard of that before so someone else can take over from there lol

Thanks for the input about the resonator placement.

Trust me I know the whole deal about short tubes not being worth the money, however I was given a set of ceramic coated BBK shorties for free so I might as well put them on right?

I live in NJ and it should be easy enough to just throw the stock H on and re-tune to stock before inspection. There is no way to view my cats without putting it on jack stands as my car is lowered and I really don't drive like an a**hole and haven't been pulled over once running straight pipes.

As for straight pipes having a lot of drone. I currently have the pypes muffler deletes on with stock manifolds and stock midpipe and get no drone whatsoever.

Looks like I'll just be placing them on the over the axle pipes mid muffler style.

I may install the headers and boom tubes with the stock H on and re-evaluate after if I want to install the or/H and the resonators. I have heard this setup (or/h, resonators, boom tubes) though and it was God-like.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well if they were free throw em in lol. If you do delete the cats, you know you can see the stock cats from the engine bay right? If the cop knows his **** he'll know right where to look. I only have a mid muffler set up and get a little drone now at cruising speeds of like 40, then it'll come back at 70 on the freeway.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know you can see the stock cats from the engine bay right?
Seriously? Definitely not calling you a liar or anything, but I gotta take a look under the hood when I get home cause that kinda doesn't sound possible to me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yeah you can. Mine stare me in face everytime i pop my hood, which is alot. Look the driver side and follow the exhaust manifold down, its like 8in. Below it

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you, I just can't believe I never realized they were visible from up top. I'm still not worried though, cops in NJ don't pop the hood and start poking around lol. Geez tho, is Cali really as bad as I've heard? They're like smog nazis out there huh?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe you, I just can't believe I never realized they were visible from up top. I'm still not worried though, cops in NJ don't pop the hood and start poking around lol. Geez tho, is Cali really as bad as I've heard? They're like smog nazis out there huh?
Cali sucks. I was born and graduated H.S. there. I'll never move back.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Its not as bad as people make it out to be, but maybe im used to it because I've been here so long. I had nitrous on my 2v gt and the cop asked me to pop my hood and saw my feed line, knew right what it was and told me to pop my trunk where he saw my bottle. He asked me if I use it often and I told him only at the track and he let me go with just an exhaust ticket which is why he pulled me over. So some cops here are nice. Cali is just so broke right now that they're looking for any way to get money.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Seriously? Definitely not calling you a liar or anything, but I gotta take a look under the hood when I get home cause that kinda doesn't sound possible to me.
Yep, you can see them from under the hood.. I was just under mine and had to look at them, ugh..... sigh......... But not for long!! Mac prochamber sitting on the work bench... And LTH's on there way. I would be pist if I had to go get inspections.. The used to do that in MN, it was a hassle.

·
Registered
961 Posts
you should skip the resonators all together. and get pype bombs instead of the boom tubes. they're the same thing, but 100 bucks cheaper. i'm running shorties with o/r h and pype bombs and it sounds pretty damn good. it's really loud at first but you get used to it. if its too loud for you, THEN weld in some resonators, but give it a shot with just the o/r h and axlebacks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you should skip the resonators all together. and get pype bombs instead of the boom tubes. they're the same thing, but 100 bucks cheaper. i'm running shorties with o/r h and pype bombs and it sounds pretty damn good. it's really loud at first but you get used to it. if its too loud for you, THEN weld in some resonators, but give it a shot with just the o/r h and axlebacks.
I just might do that. I might even try the boom tubes and headers with the stock H, or/H, then weld in the resonators if I see fit after hearing it both ways.

I don't agree that the Pype Bombs and the Boom Tubes sound the same. I've heard them both and actually prefer the boom tubes. Plus I already bought them lol.

The reasoning for adding the resonators wasn't so much to quiet the volume but more to remove the some of the uglier harsh noise. I basically want the balls of a straight through but refined.

Here are some sound clips of the setup I am copycatting (I've exchanged emails with the guy and he's been quite helpful). Only difference will be that he is running stock manifolds and I'll be putting on shorties that were given to me.

outside the car

inside the car

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have any sound clips? Also did you notice any loss in low end torque when you ditched the cats?

·
Registered
961 Posts
no torque loss whatsoever with the o/r h or the pype bombs. ill try to get an exhaust clip up soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may want to check out Carchemistry.com for some valueable tech info on the backpressure vs. drone/harshness sound issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts