Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i've gotten by '07 gt, i haven't paid much attention at all to my 96. Well, after racking up 23,000 miles my first year driving the 07, i decided i wanted to put some money into the 96 to make it my DD. It has about 150,000 miles on it, and it runs like crap.(cracked intake manifold) I'm looking to spend about $3,000 on it to get it running strong. What should i do? Rebuild the engine and put PI stuff in it? Just switch out PI stuff?(would take care of cracked manifold) Or should I do a PI engine swap? Which one would be best and cheapest. I don't have anymore than $3,000, so please keep suggestions in that price range. If i have enough left over i will get 4:10's. Local shop has a special going for $375 right now.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
Well, besides the cracked intake manifold, what else is wrong with her?

and can u do the work urself?

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, besides the cracked intake manifold, what else is wrong with her?

and can u do the work urself?
as far as i know that is it. My check engine light keeps coming on because the cracked manifold keeps leaking into my spark plugs, and it keeps messing up my spark plugs and wires. When i put new spark plugs and wires in it, it will run fine for about a month and then it messes up again. I can do easy work buy myself. Time isn't an issue. If there is something that a novice shouldn't do, i would probably have to pay for labor. I think i could do the PI swap myself though.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
as far as i know that is it. My check engine light keeps coming on because the cracked manifold keeps leaking into my spark plugs, and it keeps messing up my spark plugs and wires. When i put new spark plugs and wires in it, it will run fine for about a month and then it messes up again. I can do easy work buy myself. Time isn't an issue. If there is something that a novice shouldn't do, i would probably have to pay for labor. I think i could do the PI swap myself though.
if u can do the swap urself, and u got 3 grand to spend, do the swap. If u look hard enough u can find the heads for under 500 used, and an intake for about 100 or so. Another 2-3 for gaskets and what not, and ur still under a grand, and u've fixed ur main problem.

with 2 grand left over u can get a tuner, gears, shifter, and exhaust. She'll be a totally dif car

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if u can do the swap urself, and u got 3 grand to spend, do the swap. If u look hard enough u can find the heads for under 500 used, and an intake for about 100 or so. Another 2-3 for gaskets and what not, and ur still under a grand, and u've fixed ur main problem.

with 2 grand left over u can get a tuner, gears, shifter, and exhaust. She'll be a totally dif car
already have tuner, shifter, and CAI.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i did PI swap, gears, and lowering spring, how much would i have left over? and what should i spend it on to get the most power out of the engine? You think i could get PI swap, gears, lowering springs, LT's, catted h, cat back, and dyno tune for $3,000? Approx. how much HP would i have?

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
then damn dude........

exhaust, control arms, plenum/throttle body, gears, driveshaft + the swap, and ur still under budget

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
If i did PI swap, gears, and lowering spring, how much would i have left over? and what should i spend it on to get the most power out of the engine? You think i could get PI swap, gears, lowering springs, LT's, catted h, cat back, and dyno tune for $3,000? Approx. how much HP would i have?
245-250 with the PI swap

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much HP would i be at? I'm driving close to a 300rwhp car right now, and don't want to be disapointed at myself for spending all this money on my piece.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
how much HP would i be at? I'm driving close to a 300rwhp car right now, and don't want to be disapointed at myself for spending all this money on my piece.
245-250 with PI swap, CAI, complete exhaust, tune, suspension n gears n shifter.

U'll be a high 13 second car........

·
Registered
387 Posts
1. with 3k you could do a pi swap easy i am going to sell all my pi stuff once i get ported heads because core is only 300 i was thinking $600 for almost everything off my 02 adult owned, 50kmi, mustang but that will be a ways down the road sorry!

but i would stick with your stock block unless it looks beat once you take off the heads my reason for this is first off the stock short block runs forever if well kept, also if you stick with a non pi shortblock you will get an overall compression of i think 10.5-1 (correct me if i am wrong) compared to 9.6-1 on a stock non pi from the factory,

2. but one other option is cnc ported heads they really are not to bad on the price $1300 from rpm +cams (idk if i would buy from there read the reviews) you could run the stock PI intake manifold, with a good tune stock injectors, but i would highly recommend injectors if you are really tight on money you could go with summit brand or used you could also get used cams....

sorry if i lost you i am tired as hell hope it helped! ps i love your silver stang and the white one isnt that bad :)

for the ported heads i would say a solid 325rwhp depending on cam and other mods. with full boltons 400 crank might not be too far away with stock pi intake manifold

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have some PI heads, cams, and intake (aluminum crossover) that i may get rid of if you want em. Im lookin at getting a newer GT/Mach/Cobra.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
just pi swap it...gears...tuner..exhaust....few suspension mods....why do cars always have to be reffered to as "a high 13 car" or ect....maybe not everyone wants to race...he did say he wants a dd....so i take that as a fun street car...not a "high 13 sec car"... just do those few things and you could have a nice 260-280rwhp for under 3k and will get 20mpg on the highway still....what could be better???

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
just pi swap it...gears...tuner..exhaust....few suspension mods....why do cars always have to be reffered to as "a high 13 car" or ect....maybe not everyone wants to race...he did say he wants a dd....so i take that as a fun street car...not a "high 13 sec car"... just do those few things and you could have a nice 260-280rwhp for under 3k and will get 20mpg on the highway still....what could be better???
with those few mods u listed he won't make near 280rwhp.

the reason y i said it would be a high 13 second car was because he's use to driving a 13 second car right now, and said he doesn't want to put this money in the car and come up dissapointed.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
im pretty sure he wont be disapointed....and i meant to say bolt on's....with a tune...270rwhp isnt poss??? i think it is

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
im pretty sure he wont be disapointed....and i meant to say bolt on's....with a tune...270rwhp isnt poss??? i think it is
no, with full bolt on's thats atainable, but he can't afford all that. He want's to lower his car and put gears in, that right there is 1500......

with what he wants to do in his price range he can make about 250rwhp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts