Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

retard timing

21K views 79 replies 14 participants last post by  89StangGT 
#1 ·
which way do u turn the distributor to retard timing? clockwise or counter clock wise? i cant remember which way can ne one?

#24 ·
yepp i double checked with Wikipedia

you can also double check cuz when you turn the distributor it will either die down or idol up. in which case advance run better retard running normal or worse not sure.
any time

yey +1 for me i helped some one :p
scared me haha :p

WOW,. funny...........quite funny
Wow just wow.....

First of all get a timing light

And second of all you twist the distributor counter clock wise to retard the timing

Joeyy should be banned for this
+1

#19 ·
lol that was too funny. just shows ya you cant trust wickapieda.

but yes since the rotor spins counter clockwise to retard the timing (which means that the stroke will be further in its rotation before the spark plug sparks),then you would turn the distrubitor counter clockwise to make it take longer for the rotor to cross with points. but please do not mess with your timing without a timing light the slightest movement will throw it off.

#25 ·
93hatch you can go **** yourself sorry i got confused between clock wise and counter clock wise.

hunt_chevs go choke on a dick and die.

GoodOleBoyzRacin i dont think it will only thing that can happen i think is you will eat a hole threw the piston from running to advanced... but that happens over a very long time. Im going to borrow a light from a friend and re do it because maybe it was done wrong. it could also be my carb... not sure.

#26 ·
The timing light is only as accurate at the timing pointer and marks on the balancer.

Ive seen more than a few timing pointers that were not accurate due to getting bent or the cam not being degreed in properly. An old timing chain that is stretched will also affect timing accuracy.

Also....Ive personally had two "stock" harmonic balancers that had spun on their rubber isolators and were a few degree's off.

#27 ·
hmm so what should i do? the distributor is pretty new so i doubt it is that. i hope its nothing as serious as the cam. I am hoping it is the carb because it was sitting for a while and it hasn't woken up yet i dont think.

you know when you adjust the carb u turn the adjustments untill it starts to stall out then just go a little bit more away from the direction you turned it. on my carb you can turn it all the way and the motor should stall out but it doesn't.

weird :confused:

#35 ·
infraction for what. i made a mistake and got flamed for it if you dont like it you can go **** yourself as well.

Hunt chevs dont be a dick because i mixed up counter clock wise and clock wise. Wikipedia gave correct info i just mixed up counter clock wise and clock wise. Wikipedia said turn it left to retard the timing so thats what i posted but i said clock wise because i thought left = clockwise.

hunt_chevs u seem to have a rude or dickish remark to every thing i say and it pisses me off... just like i told darrel... if you have nothing productive to say dont say it.

if i get banned for telling the moderator to **** off then so be it. it was nice talking to you all... those that helped me thanks for the information.

darrel thanks for the information regarding the rear end and sorry for taking your comment to far when you said 320 rwhp... i just figured it would be a lot more and i thought u were insulting me in a way... but now i realize you are probably right on the money if not close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.