Modded Mustang Forums banner

Retrofitting Factory Backup Cam To Use GT500 Spoiler

31K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  _fabiian_ 
#1 ·
So I finally made it home from my deployment and got around to installing my GT500 wing and moving the camera to the gas cap emblem. The hardest part of the whole process was removing the factory wing.
1st I removed the factory wing with fishing line and a razor blade. It probably took me an hour to get the wing off. The camera was simple to pull out of the spoiler.

Then I pulled off the trunk release thing thats behind the gas cap. I cut off the thin layer of metal covering everything to be able to fit the camera behind the trunk release.

I think the hole was a little over 3/4" to fit the camera in. The cut looks kinda ugly, but you can't even see it once the release mechanism is reinstalled and definitely not after the carpet cover deal is put back on.

It came out pretty good I think. I still need to mess with it a little, but for now I am happy.

Also I was really impressed with how well the pre-painted wing color matched, and that they painted the one part black. I got it from CJ Pony Parts. It's the 3d carbon one.

See less See more
#3 ·
sorry to bump an old thread, but what can I use to cut the metal? I am gonna do this, anyone tried it before and care on sharing some tips?

#6 ·
I didn't get my hands to see the harness yet, but I found another solution, I don't want to drill or cut the faux cap/trunk. A Stanger in UAE did this job in a garage, he attached the camera directly into the GT500 spoiler, which is way better than cutting IMO. Check out the pictures and let me know if someone was able to do so

Attachments

#9 ·
The GT500 spoiler was cut and the camera installed inside of it

The cameras are not wireless, the cars just didn't come pre-wired. My local Ford dealer said the harness is different. I need to look behind my radio and see what the plug looks like, so hopefully I can wire it in myself

#12 ·
I had forgot I even created this thread! I like the look of it actually being inside the GT500 spoiler. I will say that mine has had no problems with it since moving to the gas cap.

Reactions: BHD
#14 ·
I like the idea of having it in the spoiler too, I will do it in May, I just need to know how the dude in the picture fit it in there.

#16 ·
That really explains it much :thumb: thanks man it really helped alot! I must spread reps to give you reps again, the measurements he made were really complicated lol, but anyhow, best solution would be that I order it unpainted and let a proper body shop do all that for me while I am supervising step by step , we will keep this thread updated, let me know how it went with you

#17 ·
How's it going guys! Funny how I found this thread... through Google search. lol

I'm the one who fabricated the Rear View Camera into the GT500 spoiler. I posted my build on TruForums. I'm actually going to be selling it and would like to get a hold of a stock Kona Blue spoiler with rear view camera. Gonna sell the car and need to get it back to stock. If any of you are interested, we can work something out. Also, if you guys need some advice, I'd be more than happy to help.

#18 ·
What a small world :shiftyeyes lol

I am doing this very soon, I will follow your steps, what did you use to cut the spoiler? I mean I can really do it but all extra info are welcome, I will also update this thread.

The only thing I need to be careful at is matching the color, I assume you ordered the spoiler un-painted?

#23 ·
sorry to bump a old thread but any updates? did anyone try to retro fit the camera in the faux gas cap? Im doing the mod today but it seems the camera will not go all the way in..any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.