Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any info relevant to my situation so here it goes.

I need to take my heads of to get them checked and i just spent a crap load of money on the Head gaskets and Head bolts. The Bolts were brand new and now i need to take them off. Would they be okay for a second install or should i buy new?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
This has been debated a lot. I would rather be safe than sorry and replace them. I know it sucks but is saving less than $200 really worth the risk considering what a rebuild will cost?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been debated a lot. I would rather be safe than sorry and replace them. I know it sucks but is saving less than $200 really worth the risk considering what a rebuild will cost?
It just seems rediculous because i just bought them

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i know it sucks and i hear ya because i have been there before. but honestly i sucked it up and bought new ones. i know others have used them with no problems but to me personally i couldnt bring myself to reuse them. but im also very particular about certain things. it means trying to get a couple extra hours at work or saving up for a few more weeks then it is what it is.
like s281 said its not worth messing up the whole motor for some bolts. theres always that "what if"

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
Try to call the place you bought the bolts from and just tell them your situation they may cut you a break can't hurt

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know it sucks and i hear ya because i have been there before. but honestly i sucked it up and bought new ones. i know others have used them with no problems but to me personally i couldnt bring myself to reuse them. but im also very particular about certain things. it means trying to get a couple extra hours at work or saving up for a few more weeks then it is what it is.
like s281 said its not worth messing up the whole motor for some bolts. theres always that "what if"
You have a point but at this rate the car wont be running until april lmao

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well two head gaskets locally is about 160 bucks so im just going to order the ford head change kit again lmao it was only 185 or something like that. So that works out then.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Yeah, ford racing kit is the way to go. But i actually got a set of fel-pro head gaskets for like $100 through summit

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, ford racing kit is the way to go. But i actually got a set of fel-pro head gaskets for like $100 through summit
Yeah but when i ship stuff to canada its another 50 bucks from the border to my house. This gives me a good excuse not to reuse my old head bolts lmao.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Re[lace it. you don't want a surprise later where you spend even more, more money. Trust me, i have cheeped out in places. before and regret it.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have done it before, but only on engines that are easy to work on. I wouldn't recommend it on a mustang.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Never do that. I used the same crank bolt for maybe 10 years and yeah...... that ended well with it stripping apart lol. dont reuse TTY stuff .

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ya could have bought head studs the first go around and reused them several times. TTYs are designed to be used only once as they stretch when they are torqued to spec.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya could have bought head studs the first go around and reused them several times. TTYs are designed to be used only once as they stretch when they are torqued to spec.
That a good point actually, but i didn't plan on screwing it up lmao. But for any headswap i could see this being a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got out of engine class a couple months ago and my teacher had us say everyday "do not reuse tty bolts" and I can't tell you how many times it was on a test

1 - 20 of 25 Posts