Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a built 302 with 8:5:1 CR (19cc dish I believe). Fully built heads with very large valves (based on Patriot stage 2 heads).

What's a safe point rev wise if I go turbo? Standard 6500?

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I rev mine over 7000.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think i'd be safe to 7,000 ?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
if i remember correctly you have comp bee hive springs in your motor, but i maybe wrong. if they are the comp bee hive springs they are good to just shy of 20# of boost but even still those valve springs cant handle the rpm's and high boost combination. i would run it on the dyno to find a nice level of boost/rpm's to where your not loosing power.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a better set of heads for going past 7,000? A turbo should let me make power as high as I can rev/fuel it yes?

I'm not sure if i just swapped the valves though.. i don't remember if we did springs or not, too.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Do you have patriot heads or something else? If you have the comp springs, you may float the valves, but I haven't seent the comp beehives break. On the other hand, I have personally seen the springs sent on the assembled Patriot heads break at relatively low power/rpm levels. Although I have been a big fan of patriot in the past and continue to be a fan of their port work for mid level HP builds, I have seen some really disheartening QC problems from Patriot 2V heads over the past few years.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
You wont make power past 5500rpm unless you run high load springs. Single turbo setup will float the valves sooner.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bumping this.

I have Patriot Heads that were ported/polished. I actually do have stock Stage 2 Patriot valves (thought I didn't) w/ Comp Cam springs. Safe until 7,000?

Thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts