Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did search for this topic and found some threads, but they did not answer what I am asking in my question. I have a 2007 GT, Nitto 555 285x40x18 rear, Nitto 555 255x45x18 front, 4:10 gears, Automatic Transmission, Saleen SC with 475 hp kit, Mac axle back exhaust.

Now my question: On take off I get some wheel slip depending on road surface. What I mean by that is, on very smooth blacktop I get allot of slip, otherwise I get enough on rougher surfaces to please. But what is happening is that before the car shifts into second under full throttle, it kicks down due to reaching top rev limit, and gives me a kick down delay that hurts my track times, and is a little embarrassing when challenged on the street
I know that there is a way to increase the rev limiter, but how safe will I be, and what would be the highest that I could possibly go with my rev limiter setting and not destroy my engine.
As I stated above, this is an automatic so all I do in push it to the floor and let her go.
I am running a SC tune from Brenspeed
I first found this rev limiter when horsing around starting off with power braking and showing off with a little tire smoke, but continuing to keep it at the floor and releasing the brake, It takes off like a monster but then hit the rev limiter and kicks down and then hitting again. Actually looks like missing a gear if you are on the sideline and didn't know it was an automatic. I am a real rookie when it comes to SC and drive by wire and the rev limiter, etc. etc. with our new age automobiles.
Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Casper

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You need to be better with throttle control off the line, maybe you dont realize this but just SLAMMING the gas is not the proper way to win races. I have my limiter at 6500. I go for the shift once i see it passing the 6350 mark. But i have a 5 speed. I wouldn't screw with yuor rev limiter. Try getting LCA's And work on throttle control. Try doing a feather to like 3/4 throttle without ripping first apart, and like 3/4 for a second in second and then pound it. I have never driven an automatic 8 cylinder car i cant help you that much with it, i do know that you need to work on throttle control

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I dont like a 1/2 -3/4 hit off the line and push it down smoothly and then granny shift second and smoothly push down until like 4600 rpms and then i jump it. I think thats what i do at least ill let you know next time i drive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rev limiter

Thank you for your replies. You can probably see by reading my previous post that I am not very experienced with the track; I am a real rookie!
Your advise about better throttle control makes very good sense. Being a rookie, racing sounds simple = line up, wait for the green lights on the tree, and go for broke, smashing the pedal to the floor and don't let up until you cross the finish line. "Nothing is that simple".
I have got to learn my car as well. Trial and Error along with practice, practice, practice.......
I will definitely work/practice on better throttle control, for I want to love driving my car at the track, instead of only a couple of times for fear of looking stupid. Thank you for your help.

Casper

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i cant remember if you said you have drag radials or not, if you do heat em up good, if not, dont heat them. Find a good portion of the throttle to open up and then figure out trial by error how quickly you can push down after that. you have a fast car, now learn how to tame the pony:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you 1badstang. your advice is apprecaited. I agree with you completely on "learning to drive the new HP". I don't know if they consider the NITTO 555 series drag radial or not. I have heard both yes and no to that question. I will do my best to learn how to drive with the new HP, for we have a track/show event coming up and i don't want to look too stupid. But once again, I really appreciate your comments and advice. Everything you told me sounds like perfect sense for me to try and learn,

Thank you,
Casper

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
thank you 1badstang. your advice is apprecaited. I agree with you completely on "learning to drive the new HP". I don't know if they consider the NITTO 555 series drag radial or not. I have heard both yes and no to that question. I will do my best to learn how to drive with the new HP, for we have a track/show event coming up and i don't want to look too stupid. But once again, I really appreciate your comments and advice. Everything you told me sounds like perfect sense for me to try and learn,

Thank you,
Casper
Glad i could help, but just For your information, the 555's come in both drag radial and non drag radial, i think its like an "R" for the drag radials, so i dont think you have them. Dont heat them at the track, and avoid the water box, but do a clean spin to clean any water you may have made contact with

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dump that Automatic Transmission for 6 speed and traction control off switch.

Want better times....no other answer can help you more.

Personally I would never want to drive a stang where I couldn't control the power. It's just too damn much fun.

·
Registered
461 Posts
what...? do you smoke crack? Get a transgo shift kit and programmer, firm it up and set shift points for what kind of tires your running etc.... a manual is a hell of alot harder to improve automatic times with.. (bare in mind this answer does not apply to joe schmoo with a stock auto vs a manual, of course you can out drive that, but there is a reason pro cars run autos

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
what...? do you smoke crack? Get a transgo shift kit and programmer, firm it up and set shift points for what kind of tires your running etc.... a manual is a hell of alot harder to improve automatic times with.. (bare in mind this answer does not apply to joe schmoo with a stock auto vs a manual, of course you can out drive that, but there is a reason pro cars run autos
what do you mean by pro cars?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts