Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the other day and just messin around and i was just thinking and driveing i usually shift at about 5750 when im gettin on it but i have accidently ran it to 7 and it freaked me out. Is there a rev limiter on an 89 gt?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i think some cars do and some dont......a lot of people say they have one at 6250 but mine has never rev limited and i have rapped first and second to 6500+

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
All 87-93 5 liter Mustangs have rev limiters or fuel limiters as I call them. At 6250 rpm the computer starts shutting fuel off. The factory tachometer is not accurate at all which you will find out if you put an aftermarket tach in the car. Besides that the stock valve train won't support much more than 6250 rpm anyway.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
All 87-93 5 liter Mustangs have rev limiters or fuel limiters as I call them. At 6250 rpm the computer starts shutting fuel off. The factory tachometer is not accurate at all which you will find out if you put an aftermarket tach in the car. Besides that the stock valve train won't support much more than 6250 rpm anyway.
+1 mine was about 1200rpm off at the high side of the tach.

·
Registered
261 Posts
^Thats quite a bit off!!! Guess I need to look into getting an aftermarket tach.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah i didnt realize they were that bad

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
holy crap thats alot off so i wouldnt mind a tach but they are massive and idk where to put it where it wouldnt look out of place.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
the tach would be a great investment

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, mine reads over 7000 rpms when the my autometer is at 6000. This is confirmed by my 6200 limiter on my MSD, stock tack is bottomed out.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
dang i ges i wasnt rapping it as far as i thot.......so wat would be a good place to consider an actuall redline on the stock tach

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
There is no good place, it isn't accurate above 3000 rpms. Get a decent tach or an ignition system with a real rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
you just gota make things difficult dont cha......haha

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
na man, thats just what you have to do to get some legit readings. just get an autometer tach, you will be able to use it for years

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how hard is it to put in a tach

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
I hope he's figured it out by now or this is the longest install ever.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
i think some cars do and some dont......a lot of people say they have one at 6250 but mine has never rev limited and i have rapped first and second to 6500+
Lol, wrong. I bet you're using the stock tach? Get a shift light on it and set it for 6500 and see if it ever reaches it. Now, if the car's been tuned it may have had the limit raised, but it will have a chip hanging out of the computer if it's been tuned. If the car is EFI and it's running, then it has a 6250 rev limiter built in, it's a fuel shut off and ignition cut out from what I know. I've been told by countless new'bs that they don't have a rev limiter in their car, and their car is 'special' because it doesn't have a rev limiter. lol. A buddy and I had a chuckle over this the other night. We were sitting around bsing about this subject, and it seems the honda guys all say the same thing. Factory tachs are not what you should base your shifts or rpm's by. They are there for the average non car guy to use to gauge where to shift when normally driving. If you race your car, buy a shift light at minimum or get a tach that is accurate. I've buried many a factory tach on my dyno only to show the owner it made it to 5800 or 6k. Most with stock cams won't go too far past 5600, the springs will act as a limiter. Hope this clears it up for everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts