Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm very new to stangs, and my new-to-me '02 GT was giving me fits this morning when I tried to go into reverse. :mad:

It only happened at one stop this morning (autozone parking lot of course),,and when I cruised to the end of the lot, and went for reverse - nothing,,,locked out.

I believe I have the 3650 in my ride.
I ALWAYS go into 1st, then immediately into Reverse - when I want to reverse. I tried every trick I could think of,,,giving it a little gas,,letting the clutch out a tad (sometimes in my other ford's the shifter would then drop into reverse),,going through all the gears,,etc. I could not get into Reverse!

I was royally upset, and accidently stalled the car being in 3rd,,thinking it was 1st (i know i know..) while I stuck my head out the door to listen. So after shamefully restarting my ride, it went into Reverse no problem. Didn't really give me any issues the rest of the day (so far)

What causes this? I plan on running some fresh penzoil synchromesh through it when I find some. I'm hoping that will cure it.

All I can say is this trans is super notchy! Will fresh lube/oil help with that too? I've been reading good things about the mgw shifter, and it helping with the notchyness,,true?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
next time try pulling forward a bit. the tranny was probably in a bind. its the pull forward in third that fixed it for you this time :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - but i did try that as well,,,,in first gear, with no luck. Maybe I didn't pull forward enough I guess,,and the 'bump' from dying in 3rd did it. It was very odd, and I'm pretty sure I pulled forward a foot or more when I tried it in 1st.

meh,,,decided to let my mech do the oil change today (I don't have a lift or ramps handy), plus I think he could use the work.

for the tranny - is it just 'penzoil/GM synchromesh'?,,or is there another identifier,,,it's ATF (3 or 4?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
If you are changing fluid use MERCON V. I used Mobil 1 myself.

It's just the world of our lovely transmission man. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - so this problem is still here after a trans fluid change.

It's getting really annoying. Happened twice at lunch today. Took several attempts of budging the car in 1st, before it would go into Reverse.

What causes this? I have a 90day warranty that covers all the drivetrain (besides clutch).

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
yeh mine is the same way with reverse. i sat in mcdonalds parking lot for ten minutes one night tryin to back outt of a parkin space ha. i finanlly had to put some serious strength into it and it went into reverse. my clutch is about gone and the rest of the gears r kinda notchy. my advise to u, with the next large amount od money u come by (haha) replace ur clutch, flywheel, shifter. MGW is a great shifter, ive never heard anything bad about it. good luck with it man, hope u dont have any more problems witcha pony

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
OK - so this problem is still here after a trans fluid change.

It's getting really annoying. Happened twice at lunch today. Took several attempts of budging the car in 1st, before it would go into Reverse.

What causes this? I have a 90day warranty that covers all the drivetrain (besides clutch).
Go RIGHT now and read the fine print on that ****. If it covers damages within the transmission, go out there right and row thru the gear without the clutch :lol Ram that SOB into every gear without the clutch, powershift it a few times and make sure you transmission doesn't want to live. Take it to them and say you sold me a car with a POS transmission. Fix it.

All hypothetical of course ;)

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
^^^HAHAHA zinc u r the man with my plan i swear xD

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)
It covers everything,,,synchros, shift forks, gears,,,Just not the clutch, or anything clutch related.

Ya,,,I thought about just beating the snot out of the tranny and then taking it in. I might just run over there one morning (two blocks from my house) while car is still cold, and still grinding second. I would think if it's grinding,,,AND the customer can't shift into Reverse it should be enough for them to repair it - i'm hoping they fix it under TSB 04-15-6.

The warranty is through 'Fidelity sum'n sum'n'. They are actually headquartered just a few miles down the road from me. I might take it in there BEFORE I put the CAI on I just got. I heard they can be bitches if they see aftermarket stuff on the car.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
They gonna b bitches either way

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya,,,was gonna take it today, but forgot someone was coming over to 'de-haze' my headlights,,so it'll be tomorrow or the weekend.

I'm hoping they don't give me too ****. The reverse lockout thing is happening 90% of the time now. Really ticking me off. Of course it never happens when I'm just testing it,,but if I really need to back up,,,,locked out! GRrrrrrrrrrr

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
Go RIGHT now and read the fine print on that ****. If it covers damages within the transmission, go out there right and row thru the gear without the clutch :lol Ram that SOB into every gear without the clutch, powershift it a few times and make sure you transmission doesn't want to live. Take it to them and say you sold me a car with a POS transmission. Fix it.

All hypothetical of course ;)
+1...go hammer the **** out of that thing!!! then tell em it was a t56 :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:)
Gotta clear the repairs with the warranty peeps first. I don't want to be declined a claim, and stuck with a $1500 dealer bill.

It's bad,,,almost every time now it blocks me out of reverse! I'm taking it there cold tomorrow. Calling the warranty peeps this afternoon!

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^ nice there probably dumb enough to believe its a t-56! lol actually on the tranny fliud issue this is straight from tremec use 3.0L not 3.8L of pennzoil synchromesh or chevy synchromesh. NOT ROYAL PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the mgw should help a bit.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just changed the trans fluid this past weekend to some Valvoline mercV/ATF stuff. I put in (3) 1 qt bottles (a little over 3.0 liters). The shifting to second definitely improved dramatically,,but the reverse lock out has just gotten worse.

2nd still kinda grinds when cold, but then is very smooth.

·
Registered
634 Posts
thats good just thought I would share that but, the next time you change your tranny fluid you should probably use the stuff TREMEC recommended(sp).

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
definitely will do,,,,,I just wanted to try some fresh fluid (bought it 2.5wks ago), just to remedy the problem. I looked for the synchromesh, but didn't see it at the parts store,,,so I just grabbed some compatible stuff.

Assuming it goes in for work, I'm sure they'll fill with the appropriate fluid..

..and I want an MGW real bad :)

...she's actually getting her headlights 'dehazed' as I type. I'm itch'n to put on my cai (i know it aint worth crap,,,but it's killing me seeing it not on my car),,but I want the warranty work done first so they have no room to bitch.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yeah I have to find that **** too the auto parts store in town didn't have it so I am stuck with royal purple **** in mine till I can find some. but mine won't be driven for 4 months so I am not worried.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Every mustang I have ever owned has required me to pull forward just a tad in first and then it would slip right into reverse. It's one of those things you have to get used to and deal with.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Mine does it prob %10 of the time so it deff isn't as big of a prob for me. Sorry to hear ur havin such a hard time man :(( hopefully it'll all work out soon enough

1 - 20 of 26 Posts