Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so when I start my car up it makes a whinning noise :bash: , then when I drive off it then will whine at 30mph and35mph and so on and so forth..:facepalm:

A mechanic that I trust told me that it was for sure a throw out bearing but what I need to know is if I can do this job myself or is it crazy? I know how work on my engine but I have very little experience with tranny stuff soo any opinions on whether I should do It myself or not would be much appreciated , also whAt tools woould i need thanks a ton.

-DBC

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Does the sound go away when you push the clutch in?

TOB is pretty easy to change. Should replaced the pivot stud,PB and fork while your in there. only use ford bearings.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
you'd need some extensions, metric sockets, ratchet, pry bar maybe, patience. you have to take the transmission out to replace the throwout bearing. that means pulling the exhaust off as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the sound still happens whether the clutch is pushed in or not , dang if I'm gonna take the stock exhaust off might as well wait till I have enough cash and get pypes or something aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
No the sound still happens whether the clutch is pushed in or not , dang if I'm gonna take the stock exhaust off might as well wait till I have enough cash and get pypes or something aftermarket.

it bolts up, not exactly hard to remove. (usually)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Correctly me if I am wrong guys, but if it is still there wether he releases the clutch or not, it's not the throw out bearing is it?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i wouldn't think the TOB would be the suspect if it did it while he had released the clutch, unless it's still spinning for some reason.

pilot bearing maybe?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright got a friends garage and tools so hopefully should get her done by Saturday got all day Friday to pull crude appart gonna spray it all down with some good stuff and let it soak tonight while I wait for parts to get here tomorrow morning

·
Registered
257 Posts
have fun and take your time. Dont rush things, and be careful on the exhaust bolts where the mid pipe connects. Those like to seize up sometimes and snap bolts. Spray those extra good

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be interesting I'll try and take as long as possible thanks for the advice about the exhaust bolts I'll take my time with them as well, I got off work all day on Friday so I should have plenty of time

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
I had a bad TOB on my old GT, and this one is starting to go. You can hear the squeaking when your foot is off the clutch. Upon light compression of the pedal the squeaking stops. This is clear indication of a TOB going bad. But i still have my stock clutch, so im just going to replace everything when the time comes.

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
yea maybe the pilot bearing. the tob would be screaming loud but would stop upon releasing the clutch pedal.
The pilot bearing should just make noise when the car is in gear, clutch disengaged. This is when the input shaft of the tranny spins at a different speed than the crankshaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts