Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have heard there is a 25lb piece of lead in our front right fenders. but i can not find it. i heard some say on convertibles only and some say on all sn95 mustangs. please help me cause i am all for removing weight. also where is the dogbone at? i can't find it either. i think maybe it was already removed or something. not sure please help me out thanks.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Where did you hear that there is a piece of lead in our fenders from?

Also, the dogbone, if I'm thinking of what you're thinking is a metal plate on the rear axle under the drive shaft. Sixers don't have them unless you swap to an 8.8.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I'm not sure how true that is.

Usually manufactures try to reduce weight while being cost effective. Adding weights to your car seems counterproductive.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure3 but i know i looked for it and didn't see it. BUT my car was previously had got hit by a deer so im not sure if maybe it was removed then or not?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I say just leave it how it is, unless your racing other v6's and want the better advantage

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i mean i race every once and a while and i will take advantage of any weight loss i can. it's always cheaper than buying new parts and sometimes helps out just as much:)

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
I have never seen a chunk of lead just chilling in a fender. They could be a huge potential hazard if you get in a wreck and it knocks loose. Since nobody seems to know what they are talking about on it, and I've never seen it. I'm gonna say it's not there.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah that just sounds completely retarded. Try to picture in your head what you're looking for... a chunk of led just welded to the inside of the fender? What purpose would that possibly serve? Whoever posted that is either an idiot or it was a one time case where for some odd reason someone left a hunk of metal in their fender then sold the car, and the new owner found it and decided to share with the internet world that all s95 owners should remove this led weight.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
I have never seen a chunk of lead just chilling in a fender. They could be a huge potential hazard if you get in a wreck and it knocks loose. Since nobody seems to know what they are talking about on it, and I've never seen it. I'm gonna say it's not there.
+1

·
Registered
28 Posts
My kid brother is a dyno tech by profession. One time I visited him at work about '90 or 91. He was with CMI in Ferndale back then. They had 3 cells running 351's (24/7 for 30 days) with a new design (new molds/castings) for exaust manifolds. They thought they could save 1 lb of cast iron on each manifold. It was going to save something like $10,000 per 100,000 cars and add 0.1 miles to their CAFE average. Ford uses a PLASTIC upper manifold of my car, for crying out loud. They dont do weight saving things like that and then hide 25 lbs of lead in our cars. This story sounds like it was started by a victim of an alien abduction.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
My kid brother is a dyno tech by profession. One time I visited him at work about '90 or 91. He was with CMI in Ferndale back then. They had 3 cells running 351's (24/7 for 30 days) with a new design (new molds/castings) for exaust manifolds. They thought they could save 1 lb of cast iron on each manifold. It was going to save something like $10,000 per 100,000 cars and add 0.1 miles to their CAFE average. Ford uses a PLASTIC upper manifold of my car, for crying out loud. They dont do weight saving things like that and then hide 25 lbs of lead in our cars. This story sounds like it was started by a victim of an alien abduction.
Lmao

1 - 12 of 12 Posts