Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally decided to go 5-lug. They don't sell any conversion kits around here so I'm relying on the local junkyard to find me something from an sn-95. However:-

• Will the wheels align with the body or stick out?
  • I have BBK control arms will those have to go?
  • I also want to carry over sn95 brakes, I guess they'll pop right in?
  • I wanna get me 1996 Impala SS 17x8.5 rims will those fit in nicely with the brakes and new axles?
  • I have no clue what my final gear ratio is. To be safe, is it possible to change the axles and retain the differential and gearing? Or does it all have to go?
The rims:

They look pretty swell and they're readily available

ps: I'm shady on this subject so I wasn't able to conduct a proper research. Apologies if it's been answered already

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
cheap as **** too. Only thing im not sure of is if those rotors work with stock calipers up front or if you need mark 7 calipers

·
Rattle Trap
62 Posts
Chevrolet (until recently) has been using 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern on the RWD passenger cars. So the wheels you have pictured will not work.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
  • Will the wheels align with the body or stick out?

• Only if you use spindles from a 94 or 95 year car.. doesn't matter if it's v6 or v8. 96 and will push your wheels out 8mm more on each side so your **** will need to be rolled if your car's lowered at all with them. So stick with the 94/95

[*]I have BBK control arms will those have to go?
    No they have no bearing on anything related to this converision

=[*]I also want to carry over sn95 brakes, I guess they'll pop right in?[/QOUTE]
    Yes they'll bolt right on to the 94+ spindels... allot of people including myself use the dual piston calipers from the 99+ year cars called PBR's as a brake upgrade since the fit right in with a little clearancing of the spindles.

[*]I wanna get me 1996 Impala SS 17x8.5 rims will those fit in nicely with the brakes and new axles?
    No because of them being GM bolt pattern.

[*] I have no clue what my final gear ratio is. To be safe, is it possible to change the axles and retain the differential and gearing? Or does it all have to go?
You don't have to change your ring/pinon set at all.. You do have to open the case and **** to swap the axles so if you do want to change your gears it would be a good time to do it since you'll have all the **** out anyways and swapping the fluids.

cheap as **** too. Only thing im not sure of is if those rotors work with stock calipers up front or if you need mark 7 calipers
lawl

they are just lincoln rotors that you use with your stock pos brakes... and the lincoln rotor hats are larger so allot of 5 lug rims fit but won't fit with a center cap installed.. ie cobras, fr500's, bullets etc so i'd only go this route if you plan on throwing weld prostars on the car or other drag wheels like bogart etc because most ford oem wheels won't fit.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thank you all for your time and infinite wisdom.
Rolling isn't an option because no garage here has done it before and I doubt they have the necessary equipment. (Maybe I can use a hammer or something?) anyway I guess i could live with 0.75" of rubber sticking out, heck it might even give it a meaner stance.
Hypothetically speaking, what if I go for impala ss hubs along with its 4 wheel discs? but in that case should i go for the sn95's or the impala's brake booster and master cylinder? I understand this is uncharted terrain but it doesn't sound so bad.

ok this what im gonna do when i head over to the junkyard. please comment / correct me if im getting the wrong stuff or missing something out:

- sn95 0.75" longer axle to fit discs
- sn95 caliper mounting brackets and calipers
- Impala SS Wheels, hubs, rotors and possibly master cylinder and brake booster
- I think i'll need 0.5" spacers too

note: with the normal 94-98 v6/gt calipers will sn95 caliper mounting brackets do? there was alota mumbo jumbo going on in the threads i've been through but they're mostly for fox length axles or cobra brakes. with sn95 axles and normal brakes and are the sn95 caliper mounts compatible?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
You'll also need this 1979-93 Mustang Brake Line Adapter Fitting by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

If you go 4 wheel disc then you need to redo the mc and prop valve I believe but read here 5-LUG UPGRADES: Read here first....that's UPGRADING FROM 4-5 LUG? READ HERE FIRST!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Some get away with using the 96+ spindles while others have nothing but problem after problem with clearance etc so good luck. They are allot cheaper and easier to find then the 94/95's though

I would honestly forget about the impala wheels... how are you going to find axles of the correct length with desired back spacing in the correct GM bolt pattern that'll fit a ford 8.8?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
this is why I bought my car 5 lug otherwise that **** woulda never been swapped. Im a professional engine builder not a goddam griggs tech

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
alright thanks for the pointers. And about the rims, yeah I realized I might have gotten just a little carried away there. Its just really hard finding 90s era machined 5 spokes. I like those because they're a very era-correct aftermarket upgrade like:

feelin' em?

but those are sadly uber hard to find, especially were I'm located. Since there are alota impalas in the junkyard i just thought it would wise to get those rims instead cus they closely resemble what im after and are readily available.

checking out the brake line adapter as we speak..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would doubt if the impala hubs and rotors would work on the mustang spindles. As everyone is saying, ditch the impala stuff and just get some cobra r wheels or something like that.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
this is why I bought my car 5 lug otherwise that **** woulda never been swapped. Im a professional engine builder not a goddam griggs tech
LOL grigg's tech that's awesome im gonna add that to my resume now... and dude it's super ****ing easy to day hardest part is dicking with the axles

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
LOL grigg's tech that's awesome im gonna add that to my resume now... and dude it's super ****ing easy to day hardest part is dicking with the axles
rotfl it doesnt scare me at all just not something ive done personally, only crappy tech info I give out here is from hands on cock experience

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do forgive me for making things fussier than they ought to be but is there away around getting that adapter? Say I bring home the sn95's complete brake assembly along with lines MC, booster and the works, would that be a problem?
If so, I wasn't able to find the measurements of that adapter so are any of these a good substitute?
Search Results for brake line adapter - SummitRacing.com
And if not, I'm searching for the adapter measurements again now in case i can get it locally. The reason for all these complications are that whatever I order I'm gonna have to pay for overseas shipping as well so I better be efficient with where and what I order. Summit has everything I need (instead of ordering from different sites with different locations) except that 50resto adapter, so yeah it'd be wise to find something similar on Summit.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do forgive me for making things fussier than they ought to be but is there away around getting that adapter? Say I bring home the sn95's complete brake assembly along with lines MC, booster and the works, would that be a problem?
If so, I wasn't able to find the measurements of that adapter so are any of these a good substitute?
Search Results for brake line adapter - SummitRacing.com
And if not, I'm searching for the adapter measurements again now in case i can get it locally. The reason for all these complications are that whatever I order I'm gonna have to pay for overseas shipping as well so I better be efficient with where and what I order. Summit has everything I need (instead of ordering from different sites with different locations) except that 50resto adapter, so yeah it'd be wise to find something similar on Summit.
Ok I just made a few calls and basically I'm gonna get the sn95 brakes and MC. Then I'm gonna take them along with the fox's brake lines to a local custom hose line shop and they'll provide the proper adapters

1 - 20 of 23 Posts