Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I beleive I currently have 16" on my 2000 v6. They are stock. I am looking to get some new wheels... they are completely bald and I live in Canada with a lot of snow recently... not fun lol. I want to get myself 17"-19" but im not sure if I can?

I am looking at a set right now 215/45/17 but I'm not sure if 215 will work with my car? I'm pretty much a noob at all of this. I want to get all seasons but if I find a great used deal for winters I'll be picking those up.

I realize I will have to adjust my odometer?? after putting larger tires on?

If anyone could fill me in on what can fit my car correctly and how large I can get, and how much would it cost to adjust my odometer. And if its best to get staggered?

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
245/45/17 are the standard for 17" rims. You could go up to 275/40/17 on the front for stock 17" rims as well. Don't buy 19".. Lots more info is needed on what kind of wheels you want and your budget?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The 225/55-16s tires that came stock on your 16" wheels are the exact same diameter as the 245/45-17s that have been suggested. The 215/45-17s will throw your speedometer off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking through kx wheels, do they charge shipping?

edit - yes they do.

So is it best to get staggered wheels?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Just remember you can't rotate your tires with staggered wheels, if that's something your concerned about. They look good though. You can do a 17x9 with a 275/40/17 on all four corners and it will still look good and may be a little more practical depending on your situation.
You can so rotate them, you just have to have them dismounted and remounted. I did that when I had my staggered set up on

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my wheels now I beleive are 225/55/16

if I get 225/60/16 winter tires, will there be any difference? anything I need to do? or just bolt on?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm looking through kx wheels, do they charge shipping?

edit - yes they do.

So is it best to get staggered wheels?
unless you buy from a tire shop(kal tire, fountain tire...) you will pay shipping

kx is canadian so no duty. If you buy from hte states be prepared for higher shipping and a duty fee, plus sometimes a surprise payment when you pick them up or when they get delivered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
readywheels.com does FREE shipping to anywhere is north america which is great. but again, I don't want to pay over 1000. I am looking to get a used pair now, but just curious as to weither or not the sizes fit... like right now I see 225/45R17 but my tire is 225/55/r16 so I don't know if it'll work. from my understanding the 225 is the width and the 55 is the height from the rim to the end of the tread. so no matter what is should fit, just might throw off my odometer a little bit? and how would I go about fixing that?

·
Registered
741 Posts
readywheels.com does FREE shipping to anywhere is north america which is great. but again, I don't want to pay over 1000. I am looking to get a used pair now, but just curious as to weither or not the sizes fit... like right now I see 225/45R17 but my tire is 225/55/r16 so I don't know if it'll work. from my understanding the 225 is the width and the 55 is the height from the rim to the end of the tread. so no matter what is should fit, just might throw off my odometer a little bit? and how would I go about fixing that?
You have 16 inch rims and the 225/45R17 tire you talk about are for a 17 inch rim .So no they won't fit.. To fix odometer, the best way is to get a hand held tunner.. like SCT, Diablo..etc.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
First decide what wheel size you want to buy. Then, look on craigslist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have 16 inch rims and the 225/45R17 tire you talk about are for a 17 inch rim .So no they won't fit.. To fix odometer, the best way is to get a hand held tunner.. like SCT, Diablo..etc.

I mean... of course they will FIT .... right? I can probably put up to 19" without any adjustments to my car other than odometer right?

I see lots of great deals for 17" and I would prefer a larger tire.

My assumption is that anything that is 5 x 114.3 between 16-18 should be perfectly fine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to get 17" wheel size. But I would get anything I can find that is cheaper.

But am I able to just pop them on my car that is already 16"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and the numbers "245/55/" shouldnt matter too much? Cause I see 205's 215's and 45's 65's? Will it make any difference to my car?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Yes the numbers make a difference. For example, 225/55-16. The tire is 225mm wide. The tire wall is 55% of the tire width which is 123.75 mm. And, the tire only fits on a 16" wheel. The tire has a circumference of 80.86" and turns 808 revolutions per mile.

You mentioned going to a 17" wheel. A 245/45-17 is 245mm wide and the tire wall is 45% of the tire width which is 110mm tall. It has an 80.67" circumference and turns 810 revolutions per mile. No adjustment to your speedometer is needed for this tire wheel combination. The wheel's diameter in a inch bigger but the tire wall is an inch shorter. Other tires that do not require a change to the speedometer are 275/40-17s and 315/35-17s. They also have a tire wall height of 110 mm.

A 255/55-16 is a taller tire and will make your speedometer slow. A 205/45-16 is a shorter tire and will make your speedometer fast.

Other reasons for watching the numbers is that you have to match the tire width to the wheel width. The largest tire you should run on an 8" wheel is 245mm. The largest on a 9" wheel is 275 mm. And a 315 is the largest you can run on a 10.5" wheel. If you run a larger tire then the sides are pulled in lifting the edges of the tread up reducing your contact patch. If you run a tire that is too small the sidewalls are stretched.

Attached is a tire wheel calculator that you can use to test various tire sizes.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts