Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 03 cobra pistons and rods that are in really good shape, I dont know if i will run the pistons yet or not because I might be bumping the compression a little more but if i were to use them do they have the same ring specs as all the rest of the 4.6s or do i need to have rings directly from mahle? Cant find anything online about rings for the 03-04 cobra.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
mahle did not make the 03/04 cobra pistons, they made the ford GT pistons.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I wouldn't call whoever told you that a clown, b/c it's a common misconception. I believe they used pistons that started with a "z" for some reason. I bought a set of powerpak pistons for my 2v build. In my research I thought they were mahles as well, but found out differently.

·
Banned
416 Posts
Pistons are Zollner

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool these pistons i got have zero markings on them at all, any chance there is a way to get rings for them yet?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys i would have looked forever thinking they were mahle

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Standard 1.5 1.5 3mm should work, not 100% on that though

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Standard 1.5 1.5 3mm should work, not 100% on that though
I took them to the machine shop had him look them over real good, said he wouldnt hesitate to reuse them and found me a ring set for $90 bucks shipped, so other than waiting for gaskets, rings, and my head bolts i should be goin back together by next week. :)

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Total seal makes a nice set of rings. As far as I knew they were mahle. I believe I read that in Sean Hylands book. I let someone borrow it recently so I can't confirm it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Total seal makes a nice set of rings. As far as I knew they were mahle. I believe I read that in Sean Hylands book. I let someone borrow it recently so I can't confirm it.
Thats what i always thought then zollner came up in here and found quite a bit on it when i researched it.

·
Banned
416 Posts
I will reiterate ... Mahle is NOT the manufacturer of Terminator pistons.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I will reiterate ... Mahle is NOT the manufacturer of Terminator pistons.
I think you missed the point. I could care less who made them. I was just throwing out the idea of where the misconception may have came from. If it is truly a misconception I don't even care to waste my time to do any research on it.
Regardless it is stupid idea to throw them back into a fresh build. Don't cheap out, even an off the shelf set of pistons would be a better replacement. :tomato

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you missed the point. I could care less who made them. I was just throwing out the idea of where the misconception may have came from. If it is truly a misconception I don't even care to waste my time to do any research on it.
Regardless it is stupid idea to throw them back into a fresh build. Don't cheap out, even an off the shelf set of pistons would be a better replacement. :tomato
Ill do as i please with my own rebuild.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But first answer this, dont you think its better than reusing the old hypereutectic pistons with the blower that are only a 2.8 dish and buying one new piston, or forged pistons with less wear and a lower compression ratio for boost? Just graduated from college so dont exactly have alot of money at this point lol.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
But first answer this, dont you think its better than reusing the old hypereutectic pistons with the blower that are only a 2.8 dish and buying one new piston, or forged pistons with less wear and a lower compression ratio for boost? Just graduated from college so dont exactly have alot of money at this point lol.
What blower?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts