Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to start a thread to share my progress with the new v6.

Car is a 2011, v6 premium, 6spd manual with the appearance package. Had 43K on the clock, certified pre owned and I picked it up for an amazing deal.
Nothing special but its the color and drive train I wanted.

First tank of gas I averaged 29mpg and that was 80%hwy 20% city
Second tank I averaged 26mpg and that was 80%city and 20%hwy
Over all, very impressed since its winter gas in cold weather. Looking forward to summer driving!

I'm not interested in going crazy with mods since it is my daily driver, but there are a few things I'd like to change that I feel would make the car better. I go crazy with mods and parts on the 66!:yes

-JLT oil separator: seeing how well they work only wants me to get one ASAP

- Airaid cold air intake

-Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft: Taking 29lbs off the rotating assembly can only help power and efficiency.

-Boss 302 strut tower brace: Better handling and less suspension flex. I'm a believer of the benefits of strut tower braces.

Hurst Billet Plus 2 shifter: Nice piece and I do like it. Just not completely sold on it as its not a huge priority.

I would like to get a BAMA tune some time, but thats probably one of the last things as of now.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats on the car. Mine has almost 60,000 miles on the ODO and still drives like new. A few notes, I would buy a CAI, BBK throttle body AND Bama tune. They are worth it. Also, the ads for the v6 DS use the GT numbers so you won't lose 29lbs. Expect an aluminum DS to save you 8-11lbs. If you want to lose a lot of weight quick, replace the stock mufflers. They weigh 45-46lbs and aftermarket can weigh less than 20lbs.

As far as the strut brace is concerned, you can find a thicker adjustable front sway bar for less money with better results. However the strut brace is an easy install and you do notice a slight handling improvement.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
I second Hogasswild's suggestions, slightly modified.

Get the big 3:

Intake/Tune/Gears (or exhaust if you want to retain your MPGs)

Then a driveshaft.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well yeah, in retrospect, gears would be my first mod. He didn't mention them, so I just figured he wasn't interested. Strictly for performance, I'd go gears, 93 tune, lower control arms and driveshaft. The CAI and TB are nice enhancements. You'll definitely need better tires too lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
oh you just wait lol
That is so true. I told myself twice now that I achieved my goals only to find more stuff I want. I'm now looking at a diff cover, rear diffuser, front and rear spoilers, new center caps, lightweight radiator support, and side louvers lol

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
Wanted to start a thread to share my progress with the new v6.

Car is a 2011, v6 premium, 6spd manual with the appearance package. Had 43K on the clock, certified pre owned and I picked it up for an amazing deal.
Nothing special but its the color and drive train I wanted.

I would like to get a BAMA tune some time, but thats probably one of the last things as of now.

Thoughts?
Congratulations on the sweet pick up, the 11+ V6's are animals! I love the color you went with, definitely one of my personal favorites. It sounds like you're getting great gas mileage and off to a sick start with modding it!

A Bama tune will definitely wake up that V6! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! I'd be glad to help.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Nice ride...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well yeah, in retrospect, gears would be my first mod. He didn't mention them, so I just figured he wasn't interested. Strictly for performance, I'd go gears, 93 tune, lower control arms and driveshaft. The CAI and TB are nice enhancements. You'll definitely need better tires too lol.
Thanks! Yeah I'm content with the gears as is fr a daily driver.

Congratulations on the sweet pick up, the 11+ V6's are animals! I love the color you went with, definitely one of my personal favorites. It sounds like you're getting great gas mileage and off to a sick start with modding it!

A Bama tune will definitely wake up that V6! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! I'd be glad to help.

-Dan
Thanks Dan! I did PM you concerning an order.

oh you just wait lol
Haha I hear you. My mind is pretty set though as far as what my limit is.... We shall see!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Nice Mustang. I totaled up my mods a few months ago, came up to over $6,000 and i don't even have a supercharger :(. Watch out :)
Let the mods begin :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here it is. Put roughly 900 miles on it with the CAI and oil separator. Forgive the cell phone pics but I'm sure its nothing that everyone hasn't seen before.

Thoughts on the Airaid CAI. Love it. More then anything, the additional noise you get with it makes it worth it. When you accelerate and shift up through the gears, you can hear a whine as it sucks air through the filter. I have noticed quicker throttle response and according to my calculations as well as the on-board computer, I'm getting about 1.5mpg better in back road driving. It'll be interesting to see how or if that'll change over the summer.

What I didn't like was the hardware provided with the kit. They suck. I had to run a tap through the thread inserts in the intake tube to clean up the threats as they wouldn't take the screws. No big deal as I work at a machine shop and could grab some new hardware and I own various taps, but I believe this would of been a major setback for some.

Word of advice on the silicone "hump" hose. Put it someplace warm so its pliable before you try to install or it will be a pain in the ass.

Check out all the oil blow off the separator caught after 400 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thinking of getting my wheels powder coated flat black. Anyone have a sterling grey stang with black wheels on the forum?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thoughts on wheels. I really like the style of the wheels I have but two of them have this going on.

And the one has some curb rash. As I've mentioned before, I'm kicking around the idea of getting them blasted and powder coated flat black.

Looking at other options, I'd get a set of 19s so I can upgrade brakes later. I really like the SVE drifts, RTRs and AMRs.
SVE: 26lbs @ $170 each
RTR: 28lbs @ $300 each
AMR 27lbs @ $170 each

Since the RTRs and AMRs are very similar besides price, is there any benefit of the one over the other with quality?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can rifle through these photos. I have gloss black GT500s on mine:
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/p...62t6aq6edwbx&sview=20&authkey=CJLwyY2Msuv15gE
Nice! Looks great!

I picked up a used Barton Bracket at a great price here on the forum. Shout out to jdos1, thanks again!

Everyone that hasn't upgraded their bracket yet, check this out.

This is the stock piece after 46k on the clock. Look how much the polyurethane bushing is worn already. Its tattered in some areas as you can see from this pic. I can't get over how stupid this design is.

The Barton bracket is great, very happy with it. Very smooth and the sloppy feeling is gone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts