Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking, I never refilled my trans fluid after some leaked out a while back when I did my driveshaft. I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary, but I'm just thinking that some fresh fluid could do the thing some good and maybe cut down a little on noise and vibration.

Some people have talked about deposits and whatever else that can loosen up when new fluid is put in and then cause trouble. Fact or Myth? If this is true, what can be done to prevent this?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That can happen with poorly maintained gunked up engines, but not with transmissions...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Assuming you are talking automatic trans. The problem arises when you force fluid in like what the jiffy lube folks do. If the trans has had a lot of miles on it and never changed a fluid flush with a machine that uses pressure can cause issues. Fairview Ford confirmed it for me. If the fluid swap is just a pan dump and filter change you are okay. Manual trans cars are different than autos obviously.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Gee whiz, you mean Jiffy Lube is not the best place to have your car serviced? :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey some people do.! LOL I was at the stealership and the parts manager showed my 2 automatics they were replacing that went to those drive thru shops. Both were ruined when passages clogged and impeded flow to various parts of the trans. He said if you are going to flush it use a vacuum to suck all the fluid out and then replace it normally by hand. No pressure involved and no hidden gunk stirred up.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Gee whiz, you mean Jiffy Lube is not the best place to have your car serviced? :)
Jiffy Lube does all of my tuning and custom work. Great fabricators!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would not take any vehicle we own to a place that sucks (the tranny fluid out)...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ford recommend you service the 4R70W that way. They have a procedure specific to it where it doesn't disturb particles that are inside the trans. Bowtie Overdrives also says high mileage autos that have never had their fluid changed should have it done this way or not at all. IDK?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Ford shop down the street did the same thing to my auto. Vacuumed it out and refilled it. I was wary of the blow job too. I mean...a trans flush.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I usually suggest just drop the pan, change the filter and refill with new fluid.
You can also drain the torque convertor through the access hole on the bottom of the bell housing. (according to Mitchell on demand)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My dad said their shop does 2 motors a month front jiffy lube and that they have a seperate section in their bills that pays for strickly motor jobs and transmissions cause they constantly **** up! and Not only on a poorly managed engine..Trans as well, I have personally seen someone bring their car in and the technician tell them that they think there is a problem and that they are better of not changing it untill they have money to fix it (overhaul in most cases) cause changing fluid can push it over, NOT OFTEN BUT YEA IT HAPPENS, If your trans is ok and not sketchy in any way than im sure there would be no problem but If you start to drain it and its metallic looking Id have second thoughts..

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
said hes seen em drain all oil and not put any back in, said hes seen em leave filters off, plugs out ect... stay away from jiffy lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts