Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a roll bar in the next week or so.I was originally going mild steel then changed it to chromo because they told me at the shop it was a big weight difference.What would you go with I am not worried about money ,just weight.Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Just a roll bar or a roll cage? I don't think the weight difference is worth the money if you are just doing a roll bar. The difference in weight is about 100 pounds in a 25.5 car. With just a 6 point roll bar the difference is only going to be about 20 pounds or so.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Not to mention the chromoly cage should be tig welded, which is more expensive.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its going to be an 8 point for now but the difference in price is on not what I am worried I just want to do things once.If I decide to go 25.5 later I dont want that much weight difference.So I guess I am going chromo and the people doing it is call mustang specialties in pompano beach,FL they have some sick cars there.they also do the roll bar from scratch at the shop,they dont buy them pre bent.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
don't you think that's a little overkill ? a custom made chrome molly roll BAR ??? if you are doing all that you might as well have them put a full cage in

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
dude do you know how big a 25.5 roll cage is?, its a full frame race cage, you dont need that

since your running a street application all you need is a 4 or 6 point mild steel cage, unless you plan on running 10's then you need the 8pt or bigger cage, Chromoly cages have to be tig welded like Ryan said, and you have to weld it to the floor and more of a track car application, where the mild steel would be a street application and you can bolt it up, no need for an 8pt cage ither

you should go with a 4pt at that because the door bars a re a pain in the ass getting in and out of the car, its kinda like getting in the car with the door closed, it sucks after awhile...

consider your options first

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey i know that shop they do great work .and i go mild steel and if your that worried about weight it may be time to call jenny .

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am building a 408 with woody1 for the 10's thats why I am getting a 8 point and I said mabey one day I might go faster and need a 25.5 cage.I am getting ther chromo roll bar, installed and everything for like 1,000.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am building a 408 with woody1 for the 10's thats why I am getting a 8 point and I said mabey one day I might go faster and need a 25.5 cage.I am getting ther chromo roll bar, installed and everything for like 1,000.
ok lets assume you have a mig welder and not a tig"dont know if you do or not''' but if you did why would you pay so much extra for a chromo cage when its only going to net you such a little weight loss.btw you must make the BIG bucks b/c you never care about what stuff costs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I made the big bucks,I am not welding it.Mustang specialties is doing it and I hate buying **** twice.I do things once so I dont have to again,the reason I said the money is not an issue because I have worked hard and saved.I drive truck for a living so I cant make that much,I am not so little kid asking for a dream of one day doing things.I am ready to do what I need to get to where I want to be,you know what im saying.I am just addicted to going faster,I cant get enough.Any money I get I think of my car first,my wife gets upset because everytime we talk about winning the lotto.My first response is I am going 8 with my stang.SHE GETS:mad:.LOL I know there is someone on here who understands that.

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
I dont see why everybody is hating on him for doing it right? And can't you get the door swing out bars for the cage doors? I hope to get a cage this summer. I will probably do an 8 point chromo but unsure yet as well.

What is the price difference?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I think if you got the cash and think the chromo kit is worth it, go for it. But for $1000, I'd be spending my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you really think its not worth it?I think you might be right because I can use the rest of my money to put more on the engine woody is building.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
its going to be an 8 point for now but the difference in price is on not what I am worried I just want to do things once.If I decide to go 25.5 later I dont want that much weight difference.So I guess I am going chromo and the people doing it is call mustang specialties in pompano beach,FL they have some sick cars there.they also do the roll bar from scratch at the shop,they dont buy them pre bent.
Just so you know, you will need to cut the roll bar out and start over if you decide later to go with a roll cage or 25.5 upgrade. Roll bars are 1 3/4" tubing and roll cages are 1 5/8". 9 times out of 10 a car with a chromeoly cage will sell before the same car with a mild steel cage will. Alot of people mistakenly think fast cars need chromeoly to be safe so it is kind of an investment in a way. Custom roll bars are the way to go. The fitment is perfect. Custom might cost a bit more but the finished product is worth it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so you know, you will need to cut the roll bar out and start over if you decide later to go with a roll cage or 25.5 upgrade. Roll bars are 1 3/4" tubing and roll cages are 1 5/8". 9 times out of 10 a car with a chromeoly cage will sell before the same car with a mild steel cage will. Alot of people mistakenly think fast cars need chromeoly to be safe so it is kind of an investment in a way. Custom roll bars are the way to go. The fitment is perfect. Custom might cost a bit more but the finished product is worth it.
Thank you for the advice I am glad that you gave me more of a reason to get chromo.I was originally going mild steel with a pre made roll bar but I found this place who does some sick work with chromo and custom cages.The cages I saw at mustang specialties fit like a glove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chrome molly is the way to go...It's not just a weight thing it is also a safety thing. Have you ever seen what happens to a mild steel roll bar/cage after a crash? How do you put a price on Safety?

$1000 for a custom bent cage is not bad for quality work. It takes longer to Tig, hence the higher price, but well worth it in the long run...

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Chrome molly is the way to go...It's not just a weight thing it is also a safety thing. Have you ever seen what happens to a mild steel roll bar/cage after a crash? How do you put a price on Safety?

$1000 for a custom bent cage is not bad for quality work. It takes longer to Tig, hence the higher price, but well worth it in the long run...

Steve

I agree that chromeoly is the way to go but not because it is safer. .058 thin wall chromeoly isn't any stronger than .120 mild steel but it is lighter. Many crush tests have been done on the various types of pipe on the market and the thin wall chromeoly doesn't hold up any better than mild steel. If the chromeoly and mild steel were the same thickness the chromeoly would be much stronger but it would not be any lighter than the mild steel. Chromeoly is used for weight reduction in race cars, not for safety.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I agree that chromeoly is the way to go but not because it is safer. .058 thin wall chromeoly isn't any stronger than .120 mild steel but it is lighter. Many crush tests have been done on the various types of pipe on the market and the thin wall chromeoly doesn't hold up any better than mild steel. If the chromeoly and mild steel were the same thickness the chromeoly would be much stronger but it would not be any lighter than the mild steel. Chromeoly is used for weight reduction in race cars, not for safety.
+1.

Also you can polish the chromo and not have to worry about scratching the painted rollcage everytime you get in and out of the car. Not much of a concern for a race car, but it is for a track/show car.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i didn't paint my rollcage i clear coated it and i think it looks pretty neat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts