Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local guy selling a 2001 GT Mustang. The Odometer reads 5,000 which is really low. Carfax doesn't show anything funny. My question is, is it easy for someone (not a dealer) to be able to roll back the odometer on new edge mustang, its digital so I figure there is no way this guy could have done it so it must be legit miles.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
If someone has the dealer tool then they can change the mileage to whatever they want.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yea i just dont see an 01 at 5k??

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
so the only way he could pull this off is with dealer connections right?
Yeah, although some locksmith companies have the programmer too (to reprogram keys, etc.).

It may just only have 5k miles too man...

·
Registered
71 Posts
does it ever show being in for service on carfax? If it did, they would record the mileage. Also, if it is showing no service, then that would back up the fact it may only have 5k miles on it. Also, I am guessing it is a 1 owner car? I would find it hard to believe it has only 5k if it is a multiple owner vehicle. And there are plenty of folks out there that have low mileage cars. I know a lady who comes in for regular service on her chevy pickup and it is 15 years old and only has like 10k miles on it. Her husband died, she doesn't want to sell it, and she only drives it to keep the oil changed and such. So there could even be some sort of back story as to why so little miles. I would just ask the seller why it only has 5k, see what he says.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does it ever show being in for service on carfax? If it did, they would record the mileage. Also, if it is showing no service, then that would back up the fact it may only have 5k miles on it. Also, I am guessing it is a 1 owner car? I would find it hard to believe it has only 5k if it is a multiple owner vehicle. And there are plenty of folks out there that have low mileage cars. I know a lady who comes in for regular service on her chevy pickup and it is 15 years old and only has like 10k miles on it. Her husband died, she doesn't want to sell it, and she only drives it to keep the oil changed and such. So there could even be some sort of back story as to why so little miles. I would just ask the seller why it only has 5k, see what he says.
The carfax shows no service, 2 sellers. original and then sold at 3,000 miles.. He said they have done all maintenance work themselves.

Like u said it could be true. i just don't know how easy it is to roll back the odometer, if is just a matter of swapping the computer then I would be more careful but if you have to have a special programmer or go to dealer then his story seems more legit.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
well out here in El Paso there is many problems with this occurring and the car fax usually states it because when they come in for inspection the vehicle wont match up with the milage from the previous inspection alot of people out here just take it to a Juarez, MX and have it done for $100 or $150, **** i have even seen it done where they put it back to 0 and you know it has been ran, you just have to be very careful and use car-fax each time you buy a vehicle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, the car should be almost perfect and clean inside and out. If it shows any sign of wear and tear don't buy it.

Also, I messed up my old cluster display trying to put on white face gauges. The needles were sticking so I pulled off the old display and wrecked the parts I needed to reuse. I went and bought a used cluster to replace it, hooked it up and the car would not start and the theft light was blinking. I think you would need to bring it to a dealer to have it messed with unless you knew exactly how and what to do.

The car might actually only have 5000 miles on it because if someone was trying to be fraudulent rolling back the miles, that low of miles would definately send up a Red Flag to any potential buyer.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
If it only has 5K miles, look and see if it has the Stock Goodyear's on there. That'd be a good sign. Also look at the wear on the entry point of the driver seat (right on the outside facing bolster). Check the driver's floor matt for wear.

Brakes will tell if it's got 5,000 miles also. Look for the stock pads and look for quite a bit of pad left.

Those are a few things that you just can't hide that well with aged cars.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
should have the new car smell if not a smoker i would think...maybe not lol

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
i was thinking that too, but it is a few years old.....
mainly the condition should really look almost new with no wear on anything really......it's going to be your call.....why not get some pics and post up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mileage

There are other indicators of a cars mi. What does the gas, brake and clutch pedal look like, at 5k they would still look new.Check out the carpet or floormat right below the gaspedal it should still look new there too. Look at the eng, how clean is it, has it been cleaned? Look at the front of the car and windshied, The paint should be in good shape nearley free from the nicks and road damge you see from road debris (sand,gravel etc). The windshield would be free of the sandblast pitting you get. There are other ways besides the odometer to get a realtive reading on a cars mileage.

·
Registered
817 Posts
best way to check is to take off the valve cover if u can and look inside. otherwise do the other **** everyone else said. this local guy in detroit was selling his 97 cobra with 800 miles on it.... only thing he did was pull it out of the garage every now and then to give it a hand wash. ;)

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
most likely those are the correct miles

1 - 20 of 23 Posts