Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the ending stages of my build.I put my roller cam X303 with the lifters that came with the cam in a 359w.The lifters have dog bones on them to keep them from popping out.Can I run this set up or have switch things up.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
No, you need either linkbar lifters, or you have to get a small base circle cam and tap the block for the lifter hold down.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do not know that motor but if the heads are for flat tapper litters then you ussually have to change the rocker studs.

If they are pressed in they make a tool to pull it out of you can do so wit some washers and a nut.

After pulling you then mill the rocker boss down to proper hight drill and tap the hole to accept the correct rocker stud.

Best bet is to find a head that is allready set up for roller rockers.

I also believe there is a keeper for the dogbones that will need to be installed involves drilling and tapping the valley. Which would be a problem if your motor is allready built.

Don't qoute me on all of this but it should get you pointed in the right dirsection.

Give me some feedback on what I have said so I know how correct I am I do not want to lead someone down the wrong path espically when stuff cost as much as it does.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heads are gt40p and 1.6 rockers.What is the problem if i continue with my current set up the engine is ready to start just have to put the distrubutor on.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You won't need to do anything to those heads.

The issue you will run into is that without a hold down, those dog bones won't stay pressed down against the notch they sit on. Then nothing will stop the lifter from spinning in it's bore and when a roller lifter turns sideways, it will wipe the cam lobe. Lifter bores weren't as tall in the non roller blocks, so to get them to the proper height where the lifter hold down will work properly, you need a cam with a smaller base circle, so they sit lower in the bore. A roller lifter is taller than a flat tappet.

The better option is to get linkbar lifters. You can run a regular roller cam in that block that way (thicker cam core is stronger, resists valvetrain flex better) and the linkbar design is superior to the dog bone and hold down design.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will i have to get diffrent push rods

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea you will most likely. Get a pushrod length checker first to determine your pushrod length you'll need. You'll either have to flip a plunger on one of the lifters to make it a solid, or take out the valvesprings on a cylinder and replace them with checker springs. Either way, the purpose is to not push the hydraulic lifter in while checking for pushrod length because it will give you false readings. Are the GT-40 heads you have still pedestal mount rockers or have they been converted to stud mount?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
need new pushrods unless you get super lucky and the linkbars turn out to be the exact same height as the reg lifters, which they prob wont

1 - 9 of 9 Posts