Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in today for a routine brake fix when I asked my guy to diagnose the weird ticking nose that I've been hearing from the front left part of the car on idle - specifically around the wheel well. Turns out that the TSB 03-25-6 says that the cause of this is the cylinder heads and that the only way to fix the noise is to replace them. I'm sure that you guys already know this about the noise, I've just made the decision to go on with replacing the parts in a few months, and had some questions about what to do.

As for the fact that I need new heads, cams, and head gaskets, I was hoping to be able to take this chance of ripping apart the top of the engine to put some better heads and cams on. My plan was to supercharge this summer, but if I gotta drop around $3600 on this repair, I might have to push that back another 6 months or so. So, what do you guys think the best heads and cam combo would be? I've only heard of Trickflow and Edelbrock heads, and I know nothing about which cams are good. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
418 Posts
So I was in today for a routine brake fix when I asked my guy to diagnose the weird ticking nose that I've been hearing from the front left part of the car on idle - specifically around the wheel well. Turns out that the TSB 03-25-6 says that the cause of this is the cylinder heads and that the only way to fix the noise is to replace them. I'm sure that you guys already know this about the noise, I've just made the decision to go on with replacing the parts in a few months, and had some questions about what to do.

As for the fact that I need new heads, cams, and head gaskets, I was hoping to be able to take this chance of ripping apart the top of the engine to put some better heads and cams on. My plan was to supercharge this summer, but if I gotta drop around $3600 on this repair, I might have to push that back another 6 months or so. So, what do you guys think the best heads and cam combo would be? I've only heard of Trickflow and Edelbrock heads, and I know nothing about which cams are good. What do you guys suggest?
Replace them? I dont know about that, i would think a rebuild at most. How many miles? Probably just the lash adjusters starting to tick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace them? I dont know about that, i would think a rebuild at most. How many miles? Probably just the lash adjusters starting to tick.
87k miles. And the TSB says that I should replace the whole entire head assembly. What should I do if I just wanted to look into the lash adjusters?

Im no expert but definitely get some more opinions before you buy brand new heads.
Just going by what the TSB says, not making any dramatic changes right now. I'm not in a rush to go out and drop the 3600 that I got an estimate for. The car technically has no problems right now, and I was planning on upgrading the heads anyway, so I was just asking people what they thought were the best heads and cams because this gives me a reason to change them.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
$3600 seems way too high, unless you want to use trick flow heads, cams, and a tune. Even then you'd probably need to upgrade your fuel system so that's another couple hundred dollars. Take echastain88's advice and go get a second opinion.

Unless you are going to get a forged shortblock when you supercharge your car, the trickflow heads would be worthless. You can easily reach the "400rwhp limit" that our engines have with a simple supercharger kit. I could see upgrading the cams, but the heads are not worth it unless you want a massive amount of power.

Get a second opinion, if you need new heads, get pi heads and cams for less than $1000, then supercharge it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
87k miles. And the TSB says that I should replace the whole entire head assembly. What should I do if I just wanted to look into the lash adjusters?

Just going by what the TSB says, not making any dramatic changes right now. I'm not in a rush to go out and drop the 3600 that I got an estimate for. The car technically has no problems right now, and I was planning on upgrading the heads anyway, so I was just asking people what they thought were the best heads and cams because this gives me a reason to change them.
Trickflows are the best 2v heads, but as previously mentioned if you use those with a blower you should upgrade the fuel system and shortblock. Those heads and cams with a blower will probably make more than the stock shortblock can handle.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts