Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 02 GT has blew the #4 plug out over a month ago and i was able to fix it, but today it took the threads for the head with it. has anyone else had this kind of problem. i have heard of the windsor head doing this but not romeo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
never mind the guy that i bought the car off of said it was a romeo engine. i did some research and my car is one of the few that ford put the windsor engine in, in 2002. 8th vin is an X and i have 11 bolts on the valve cover

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh...well i guess that some people on other fourms dont know what they are talking about :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
never mind the guy that i bought the car off of said it was a romeo engine. i did some research and my car is one of the few that ford put the windsor engine in, in 2002. 8th vin is an X and i have 11 bolts on the valve cover
one thing to add to this is that ALL 4.6 2v's are X vin's, period. it DOES NOT mean any thing else (ie. windsor vs. romeo/etc/etc.). also there are no '02's with factory installed windsors, early '01 was the last of the windsors & they were '00 leftover stock to get the PI 4.6's out of the windsor (truck engine) plant when the romeo plant came back on line.

Reactions: 2002 BLK GT

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
oh...well i guess that some people on other fourms dont know what they are talking about :confused:
if they told you that you have a 11 bolt windsor, then no, they don't know what their talking about, that's very common knowledge.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thats settled. has anyone heard of this type of head doing this, this is my first mustang i dont know alot about them. all my other sport cars were camaros and i didnt have any luck with keeping them together.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have an 02 as well and just did mine like 2 weeks ago after it sat for a month lol....

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
ok thats settled. has anyone heard of this type of head doing this, this is my first mustang i dont know alot about them. all my other sport cars were camaros and i didnt have any luck with keeping them together.
although windsor heads are more common to have this problem (ie. spark plug blow out) romeo's do it also. the big problem is the repair, I would guess, by your statement that you repaired it & it blew out again that you most likely used a heli-coil. while it's quite expensive a time-sert is the only thing I've had good luck with.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I heard the 02 and on didn't have this problem.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I heard the 02 and on didn't have this problem.
all modular heads have this problem, just some are worse than others

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
i'll be pretty irate if this happens to me with my new setup.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
i'll be pretty irate if this happens to me with my new setup.
time-sert 'em before you put it together & you wouln't have to worry.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
My timesert stuck to the plug and came out with it. It didn't hurt the new threads the timesert kit made in the head. So I screwed the timsert onto the new plug. Then put red loctite on the threads of the timesert that go into the heads and tightened it to 21' lbs. So far it has been fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
talking about bad luck, had the car out friday just to drive it before winter storage and boom the #3 plug decides to blow out. so i have 1 of 8 fixed with the time sert and another to fix now. hopefully this winter i can get enough money together to get different heads for it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
All I can suggest is to randomly check your spark plugs man...anytime I hear a exhaust leak I assume it's a spark plug... And check them...every oil change I check them...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah i should have checked i could hear it leaking just never thought about it :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts