Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of diving into what cams i want to install on my 2002 GT, I ran into some contradictory information on my car. Below are the facts on my car so far. Seems to be contradictions so I am unsure whether I have a Romeo or Windsor. Please help.

2002 GT - off the bat, most research tells me it is a ROMEO because it was built after 2001.
VIN 8th digit - "X" I cross checked the doorsticker with the title, both are x. which tells me the car has a WINDSOR according to LMR
valve cover hardware size - 8mm. this also tells me WINDSOR
valve cover bolt quantity (per side) - I quadruple counted 11 on each side, including the 2 at the front of the engine. This tells me ROMEO as well according to LMR.(are there 2 at the firewall side I cannot see while the engine is in the car???)

essentially, I have heard of the ROMEO having no interferance issues with the stage 3 comp cams (including new springs and retainers of course), but that Windsors do have interferance and they have press fitted cam gears forcing you to buy bolton adjustable ones.

I bought this car used from a guy who knew the first owner. he had no knowledge of any major engine swaps or repairs done so I have no reason to believe the VIN might not match the motor, but you never know.

sorry for the long writeup, hope I gave you enough information!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same issue, both hardware and VIN indicate the engine is Windsor, but I have counted 11 bolts on the valve cover. I am still leaning towards Windsor but it sucks not knowing 100%

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the exact same issue, both hardware and VIN indicate the engine is Windsor, but I have counted 11 bolts on the valve cover. I am still leaning towards Windsor but it sucks not knowing 100%
One suggestion made to me in another forum page was the take the cam cover off and look at the cam gear. if it is pressed onto the cam, then you know for sure that you have Windsor heads at the very least. If they are bolt-ins, then you have Romeo heads.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Having an x in the vin doesn’t mean anything, all gt’s have an x. All 01.5-04s have romeo 4.6s from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@mouseysi I have not purchased any cams yet. With a baby on the way and tentatively searching to buy a home, the build has been put on pause, but she is still rippin it up! After more research, I am either going to buy degreed cams from MHS in Florida or from Todd Warren. they are both incredibly helpful and knowledgable with teachers hearts to explain and teach. I cannot remember if they recommended stage 2 or 2.5, but they both do their own custome variations of comp cams which would be tailored for low-mid rpm hp/tq since my build is my daily. It may not hit the 300whp number on the dyno, but the increase all the way through the powerband will be substantial to say the least.

When the time comes, I will buy them, but I was strongly advised by Todd Warren to also do the long tubes otherwise i would be missing out on about 30 hp. This is another reason I am pushing out the purchase. the purchase of the headers cams, springs, retainers, etc. adds up quick and its quite a bit of work. Ill need to have the proper amount of time allotted and maybe a better garage setup so that I can drop the K-member or pull the engine do it all once, and the right way with limited headaches.

Hope that helps :) Feel free to contact me directly if you wanna chat more about it. (317) 313-5114

·
Registered
36 Posts
@mouseysi I have not purchased any cams yet. With a baby on the way and tentatively searching to buy a home, the build has been put on pause, but she is still rippin it up! After more research, I am either going to buy degreed cams from MHS in Florida or from Todd Warren. they are both incredibly helpful and knowledgable with teachers hearts to explain and teach. I cannot remember if they recommended stage 2 or 2.5, but they both do their own custome variations of comp cams which would be tailored for low-mid rpm hp/tq since my build is my daily. It may not hit the 300whp number on the dyno, but the increase all the way through the powerband will be substantial to say the least.

When the time comes, I will buy them, but I was strongly advised by Todd Warren to also do the long tubes otherwise i would be missing out on about 30 hp. This is another reason I am pushing out the purchase. the purchase of the headers cams, springs, retainers, etc. adds up quick and its quite a bit of work. Ill need to have the proper amount of time allotted and maybe a better garage setup so that I can drop the K-member or pull the engine do it all once, and the right way with limited headaches.

Hope that helps :) Feel free to contact me directly if you wanna chat more about it. (317) 313-5114
Thanks for letting me know. I understand your situation. Family first, always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts