Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ModMax - 4.6 and 5.4 Modular Experts

Yall all know my setup with my blower and cams. For a blower application, which options should i choose if i just decided to get a forged rotating assembly? Which pistons to choose? .20 over but which dish and cc? I can use my stock crank correct so be sure to check that. And be sure to check for them to balance the rotating assembly. I want this to be as cheap as possible but with the H beam rods and whatever pistons needed. If you want, copy and paste the form for me. Please be sure on what i need.

Then what other small things would i need to complete the build?

I know this is asking alot but im really trying to weigh up my options. Im ready to have a forged bottom end and its going to happen soon!

Reps to anyone that can help!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
they'll need the crank to properly balance the assembly, so you can leave that out (you'll have to get it done locally when the kit come's) & you'll most likely want the Manley 23cc piston's. other than that, you'll need a head bolt kit, oil pump, complete timing kit (IMO anyway), misc. gasket's.

Reactions: BakerFX4

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where are our motor guys? casper, sweet2k, etc? It is a saturday night and im one of the few gay ones that sit at home. LOL. once you get my age you just wanna hang out at the house. :tomato

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL^ wouldnt you know as soon as i go to post that.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ur right casper, didnt think of that. What is timing kit?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
hahahaha ive been sittin at home all day too it sucks. Finally I got bored and went shopping for some brew and dinner a bit ago. What pistons to get etc im not 100% sure but im sure casper knows what hes talking about, on the other hand I also agree with the new timing components etc.

Just read your post above. Timing kit would be tensioners, tensioner guides, stationary guides, gears, and chains. At least thats what they come with when you buy it as a kit. I dont see why its necessary to change the gears though; given you could buy everything else separate for cheaper vs the kit.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Casper can you explain the cc and piston shape to me. What does that stuff matter and consist of?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Casper can you explain the cc and piston shape to me. What does that stuff matter and consist of?
it matter's because that's a big factor (not the only one, but a big part) in determining the compression ratio. in a nut shell, the dish on the top of the piston in this case is 23cc's & by their piston info should give you around 9.0 to 1 compression at .020 over.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wont my stage 2 livernois heads change that up a lil or no?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how come some pistons have the smooth dish and then some have the lip on the edge of the piston?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would going .30 over be better or no not worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
how come some pistons have the smooth dish and then some have the lip on the edge of the piston?
for the most part, the shape of the dish determines the cc's, hence the diffrent shapes/sizes.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the cobra shortblock is rocking those pistons with the lip. Just never see peeps go with them with a new shortblock. At least the pics ive seen.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 50 Posts