Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my motor a few weeks ago and just got around to pulling the oil pan to check the bottom end. Is the rotating assembly toast if the rod caps jiggle side to side a little?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah. and the bottom side of my pistons are like golden brown, that normal on a 100,000 mile motor?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Whats a little?.They should move Very Very little if any if its alot of movement odds are its wiped out.Pop the caps off and take a look at the bearings.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can move a couple of them maybe half a millimeter.

I just want make sure I don't put a broken bottom end back in my car.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Its already out and bearings are cheap i would pull the caps, main and rod and check them out for any uneven wear or anything that might look funny just to be safe and slap a new set in there before you drop it in:2cents

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yea man.. good bearing are cheap.. pprobably around 120 bucks for rod and main bearings.. and another 120 for main bolts and side bolts

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Its already out and bearings are cheap i would pull the caps, main and rod and check them out for any uneven wear or anything that might look funny just to be safe and slap a new set in there before you drop it in:2cents
+1 but remember the bottom end bolts are TTY so if you pull the main caps to replace the bearings you need new bolts. It's worth it though to have a fresh set.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
+2

·
Registered
375 Posts
Go buy a good book on engine rebuilding. Rod side clearence is normal if not excessive. Look at the rods for discolering or overheating usually means spun bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts