Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I know that every 10 lbs removed from a car gains about 1 horsepower but what is the ratio for rotational weight? I read on a forum that one lb of rotational weight is like 10 lbs of static weight but is that true? If it is that means ever lb of rotational weight is 1 horsepower?

·
K1w1
941 Posts
Ummm, no. Removing weight does not give you HP. It will increase your HP to weight ratio which is always a good thing but HP will remain the same.

·
K1w1
941 Posts
Ok, I just did a quick Google. Reducing static weight by 10lb will give the same performance increase as if you had an additional 1 HP.
And each lb of rotational weight reduction gives the same advantage as 5-10lb of static weight reduction. So if you reduced the weight of your wheels by 1lb each it would be the same as if you had an increase of 2-4HP.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Ok, I just did a quick Google. Reducing static weight by 10lb will give the same performance increase as if you had an additional 1 HP.
And each lb of rotational weight reduction gives the same advantage as 5-10lb of static weight reduction. So if you reduced the weight of your wheels by 1lb each it would be the same as if you had an increase of 2-4HP.
It isnt linear, and there are a lot of other things to take into consideration

Check out popa smurfs thread for cutting weight, he did a really good writeup

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm thinking of adding a small sub set up(35-40lbs) all together. But wanted to make up some of that weight some where. I'm getting new rear tires soon to replace my crappy pirelli p6 with continental extremecontact dws 245 45 17. The p6 tires weigh 26 lbs and the dws tires weigh 23 so what would that effect of 6 lbs be for rotational mass? Trying to come close to the sub weight

·
K1w1
941 Posts
It isnt linear, and there are a lot of other things to take into consideration
Yup, sure is. Like the size/type of wheel, where the weight is in relation to the rim/center.

I was just trying to show where the OP's misunderstanding was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts