Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the stop rotors on my stang. i was trying to decide wheather to get drilled, slotted, or drilled and slotted. i really cant decide so i figured i would get you guys to help. what do you guys prefer for your stangs...

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
drilled and slotted are nice, and if you need new rotors its a good time to up grade to them they tend to hold up a lot better too just be careful if you get them turned ever

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
i would do front and back you can get them off ebay pretty cheap

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
stoptech are pretty nice

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
i would get just sloted because driling can cause extr stess on the roters causeing them to crack, however, driled sloted will give u the best braking praformance, due to the increased cooling and ventalation. and if not under extream stresses the extra strees from driling shouldent make a diferance.

also summit racing has some cheep roters that they make.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Most hardcore Mustang open-trackers (aka... the Mustang guys who actually NEED serious brakes) prefer high quality blanks over the fancy stuff.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
a high quality blank that will hold up to extreme auto-X will be about the same if not more than a drilled set, most cross and ralley guys I know at least use a slotted rotor so they will dissipate dust off the rotor

·
Registered
452 Posts
a high quality blank that will hold up to extreme auto-X will be about the same if not more than a drilled set, most cross and ralley guys I know at least use a slotted rotor so they will dissipate dust off the rotor
First, it's not really "apples to apples" to compare a high quality blank to a mid-grade slotted/drilled rotor. Plus, you can get a pair of BREMBO blanks for the Cobra brakes for $120. That's very reasonable when it comes to 13" rotors, and those are obviously a quality rotor.

There will always be debate as to the efficacy of slotted and/or drilled rotors, and if you go by individual results, you'll never come to a conclusion.

My statement was simply that many of the Mustang open-trackers (specifically on corner carvers) prefer quality blanks to spending the extra money on slotted/drilled rotors with suspect benefits.

In addition to that, even if we assume that cross-drilled/slotted rotors DO offer better cooling and rotor cleaning, those benefits will be virtually non-existant on a street car.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
im not sure what blank you use or how aggressively you auto-x but brembo blanks are made for street apps and their auto-x blanks are around 320 a set a high end slotted rotor is around 320-350 a set and slotted rotors hold better breaking capicity since under a long break distant there is no pad buildup on the rotor

·
Registered
452 Posts
im not sure what blank you use or how aggressively you auto-x but brembo blanks are made for street apps and their auto-x blanks are around 320 a set a high end slotted rotor is around 320-350 a set and slotted rotors hold better breaking capicity since under a long break distant there is no pad buildup on the rotor
Again, PLENTY of people on corner carvers who seriously auto-x and track their Mustangs use the Brembo blanks with both the Cobra and Cobra R calipers, and swear by them and the value they offer.

Also, the number of variables when it comes to braking performance makes it impossible to say "Oh, the blanks will be better" or "Oh, slotted will work way better". I'm simply passing along what some very knowledgeable and experienced Mustang "racers" swear by.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
well cobra calipers I can agree with they are great but the main problem with blanks is they get hot spots real easy

·
Registered
452 Posts
well cobra calipers I can agree with they are great but the main problem with blanks is they get hot spots real easy
Certainly the Cobra calipers are a significant help, but the principle extends to the "base" caliper as well. The benefits of the slotted/drilled rotors are debatable and are inherently minimal on a street car, anyway.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
not to be an ass but first stop and ask your self if you need them...

then i would suggest looking into bigger breaks over better rotors

1 - 18 of 18 Posts