Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm having a problem with my 2001 v6 automatic. I was at walmart and grabbed a bottle of heet (red) because every once in a while my car has a little trouble staying running. I put it in the gas tank immediately which was almost full and let it run for a bit before leaving the parking lot to head to my next stop in my list of errands. It ran fine I got to my next stop, get what i need and leave. As i was pulling out of the parking lot it seemed a little sluggish but okay. then I come to a stop at a light and it starts to idle rough like my old saturn did before I cleaned out my EGR valve and my check engine light flashes at me. I pull off, shut the engine off and it starts right up but up until I hit about 2500 rpm it idles rough. The other thing is that now any time my traction control is active I have a strange whining coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. The traction control issue is something I am almost positive was caused by the traction control being on almost the whole time trying to make it home in the storm that hit my area on Tuesday but the rough idle I can only assume was caused by the addition of heet to my gas tank. Any ideas on how to fix the idle problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Check your injectors
That heet could be clogging them

03cristian

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
That would be the exact opposite of what it should be doing from what the bottle said. How would I go about checking my injectors? Noob to messing with the fuel system here.
Ok... Injector cleaner clogs them so this would to!
remove them and take them to a shop to have them flow rated !
Idk of those shops though
Or just clean them and try again!
I cleaned mine with gasoline when my car reached 100k

03cristian

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
When you use the "fuel addatives" they break down all the contaminants and bring them to your injectors. thats how it "clogs" your injectors. If you want to do any additive seafoam is the best on imo. But through a vac source

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used another fuel system treatment, can't remember the name of it though and I've never had it act like this until putting the heet into it. I plan to take it to a local Autozone and have them pull the code tomorrow and see what that turns up.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
I've used another fuel system treatment, can't remember the name of it though and I've never had it act like this until putting the heet into it. I plan to take it to a local Autozone and have them pull the code tomorrow and see what that turns up.
Yeah do that

03cristian

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Clean your idle air control. Their are notorious for getting gunked up or totally shitting out on these cars. When they start acting up your car will idle like **** (dropping near the point of stalling -or actually stalling- and shooting way up). It's located on the back side of the intake manifold. 2 bolts hold it in and it's got 1 electrical connection. Be careful with the gasket if you want to reuse it or pick up a new one before you pull it off. Just flush it out with some carb/tb cleaner a few times, let it dry, and put it back on. If it keeps acting up, you'll have to replace it.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
If your CEL is flashing at you during this, you are having a random misfire. That in itself brings a lot to clean. Try everything everyone has said, and also try cleaning your MAF, and throttle body.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thank you guys for the replies. The trouble is I go back to work tomorrow and I work nights and take care of my son when I'm home and my wife is at work. I'll have to deal with it this weekend and hope we have nice weather so I can rip stuff apart and clean it all. Any idea about how long all this stuff like cleaning injectors and all that should take?? I'd have all day Sunday to do it if all goes smoothly. I can't do it Saturday because the wife is working and can't have the baby sitting in the car in 30-40 degrees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just to update. I took it to Autozone and had them scan the code. Turns out it wasnt the Heet I put in the tank causing the rough idle or anything else major. My number 2 cylinder was misfiring due to in improperly gapped and very old spark plug. they look as though they hadn't been replaced in quite some time. Due to finances being what they are for me for the moment I only replaced the bad plug and within another week the rest will be changed along with the wires and maybe a new coil. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably wind up cleaning things up a bit once it warms up enough here so I'm sure it stays running good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts